Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Swing arm/Muffler Bracket Problem

I bought a 2011 Sunny 150cc a few weeks ago and on the first ride the rear tire went flat. I started taking it apart to change the rear tire and I am having a huge problem. I took the axle nut off and the bolts that hold the swing arm to the case but the swing arm won't slide off the axle. I can wiggle it back and forth a little but it will not slide off. I have tried a puller and pulled so hard that it broke the swing arm, so I welded it back together much stronger than the original welds and the puller broke it again. I have tried heat and hitting it with a hammer, nothing seems to work. Should I just cut it off the axle and get a new one or is there another way? Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #2

There is a c-clip that holds the spline on the swing arm. Finding a new swingarm is nearly impossible.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
There is a c-clip that holds the spline on the swing arm. Finding a new swingarm is nearly impossible.
The only c-clip I see is the one that holds the dust seal and bearing in. Where is the c-clip you are talking about and how do I get it off?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #4

Anyone?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

That's a really hard one to diagnose. But at the risk of stating the obvious, I'll tell you what I do, just in case you think there's something you didn't do & might want to try.

1. Remove muffler.

2. Remove Right shock absorber.

3. Remove (perhaps) 6 bolts to the tire swing arm bracket; remove the upper bolts that secure the bracket to the black plastic mudguard/fender, & not the middle 2 bolts. Place blocks of wood under the bracket's lower arm in order to center the bracket around the plastic fan housing, to allow the bracket to pass clear of the housing as it is pulled out of the wheel axle.

4. Next remove the 24 mm wheel nut followed by the spacer washer. A 15/16ths socket seems 2 fit a bit tighter.

5. Then soak, & I mean soak, the bearing area with penetrating oil. How do you do this? By spraying between the bearings & swing arm frequently, once every hour, for say, 12 hrs, or an entire day. Then let it dry overnight.

6. The following day
(when it's not wet & flammable), heat up the area around the bearings with a torch in such a way as to expand the area around the bearings, without expanding the bearings. Now take your 2-arm puller to grasp the swing arm & begin pulling it off the axle. Tighten the puller a little & hit repeatedly the puller tightening bolt firmly (not hard) with a brass hammer. Then tighten the puller bolt another 1/8th turn & strike firmly (but never hard), the puller bolt repeatedly again with the brass hammer (a steel hammer can mushroom the puller bolt head; not desirable) again. If you do not have access to a brass or bronze hammer, use a wood block on top of the bolt & hammer the wood block. Then turn the puller bolt another 1/8th turn. Repeat this process for about 20 minutes. That's how long it took for me to gradually pull off the swing arm. You have to be very careful because there is a chance that the aluminum transmission housing gets damaged on the other end of the shaft if you hit it too hard.

You should be able to get the swing arm off. Good luck & take it slowly; no use breaking the swing arm as that only results in un-necessary work.

Last edited by CarefulRider; 07-09-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Thank you very much for the great response. Unfortunately this is exactly how I did it and it wont budge. I think the problem is that the guy who had the scooter before me weighed nearly 500lbs so I think that much weight might have deformed the axle.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
The splines are locked together, perhaps you can block the wheel from moving and turn the clutch bell in reverse from the other side with a strap wrench while someone taps on the axle.
I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't the bearing rest on the smooth part of the axle and the wheel on the splined part?