Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 02-19-2016, 04:23 AM   #1

150cc Brand new, starting/idling issues

Last year I bought a 150cc scooter for my girlfriend, rode it for the summer and then let it sit for the winter and the following spring it failed to start. I tried checking the basics, changing the fluids, changing the battery, and still nothing.

So then I hit the forums and read a few diagnostic things to try and have since tried them to no avail and wanted help interpreting my results. I sprayed compressed air through the fuel line to clear any settled gas, nothing. Then I checked and it was getting spark. I then checked the air filter, clean as a whistle. So then I tried spaying starter fluid into the intake and it fires right up! But it won't idle and won't start without the starter fluid.

At this point I don't know what the issue is but it definitely points to a fuel issue it seems like. I was just curious if anyone had any specific advice/solutions concerning my issue, the thing only has 350 miles on it and spring is right around the corner. Thanks in advance

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

I'm sure anyone here is going to tell you that your problem is most likely the carb. You'll need to pull it off and thoroughly clean it out, paying close attention to the small ports.
First though, verify you are actually getting fuel to the carb.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Yeah, I figured as much, fuel is getting through definitely, it wants to start but I didn't know if this was a common issue I was unaware of, I sprayed the old gas oUT of the lines and sprayed the carbs intake but it didn't make a difference

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #4

It's the tiny orifices that are going to mess you up. I haven't had this problem yet, Luckily. If you pull the carb, I would start by cleaning out the mixture screw housing with carb cleaner, remove the jets and do the same; also, the enricher housing has small ports that (I believe) run to the carb throat. Try spraying them, let them sit for a while, and spray again.

I thought I had a similar problem; I left gas in the snowblower. It started, but ran like crap. I cleaned the main jet and whatnot, but it turned out to be a vacuum leak. All good now.

Good luck.