Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

150cc benelli andretti 150xt problems, help please.

OK so I did some routine maintenance on my scooter I changed the spark plug and the fuel filter, both of which have never been replaced after 8k miles (long story)..also I noticed the air box hose to the carbuerator wasn't attached so I attached that.

My problem is after I made the changes the scooter wasn't running very well...
The airbox hose hasn't been off very long maybe a few weeks.
The scooter was running very rich and it would run maybe 1/4 a mile then bog down and shut off, or it would shut off at sudden stops, I tried adjusting the idle screw but it didn't help much unless I had it running so open that the back tire would start spinning on it's own.

Idk which spark plug I used but the online source I used said it was good, if it's the wrong spark plug will that cause these issues?

Or could it be the fuel filter I added is a wrong type (advertised for 150cc scooters) and is allowing too much fuel to the Carb?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Also now the scoot won't start at all no power to any gauges, the ignition switch is brand new and the battery is new so I need to check the fussed yes?
There are 15v(or amp?) Fuses in a box but isn't there a 10v(amp?) Fuse somewhere else also???

Thanks guys, here's a pic of the fuel filter, the arrows indicate how the fuel is supposed to flow through it right?
http://i.imgur.com/FOPriUG.jpg

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Impaired; 06-11-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added picture of fuel filter.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaired View Post
OK so I did some routine maintenance on my scooter I changed the spark plug and the fuel filter, both of which have never been replaced after 8k miles (long story)..also I noticed the air box hose to the carbuerator wasn't attached so I attached that.

My problem is after I made the changes the scooter wasn't running very well...
The airbox hose hasn't been off very long maybe a few weeks.
The scooter was running very rich and it would run maybe 1/4 a mile then bog down and shut off, or it would shut off at sudden stops, I tried adjusting the idle screw but it didn't help much unless I had it running so open that the back tire would start spinning on it's own.

Idk which spark plug I used but the online source I used said it was good, if it's the wrong spark plug will that cause these issues?

Or could it be the fuel filter I added is a wrong type (advertised for 150cc scooters) and is allowing too much fuel to the Carb?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Also now the scoot won't start at all no power to any gauges, the ignition switch is brand new and the battery is new so I need to check the fussed yes?
There are 15v(or amp?) Fuses in a box but isn't there a 10v(amp?) Fuse somewhere else also???

Thanks guys, here's a pic of the fuel filter, the arrows indicate how the fuel is supposed to flow through it right?
http://i.imgur.com/FOPriUG.jpg
There is another adjustment on that carb for the air/fuel ratio, I believe it is on the opposite side from the idle adjustment screw, but it is just on the side of the carb and doesn't necessarily look like the idle adjustment screw.

Turn this screw all the way in, and then back it out for 2 turns.

As far as the fuse goes, I'm not sure. If it has a kickstarter you can try that first.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyman View Post
There is another adjustment on that carb for the air/fuel ratio, I believe it is on the opposite side from the idle adjustment screw, but it is just on the side of the carb and doesn't necessarily look like the idle adjustment screw.

Turn this screw all the way in, and then back it out for 2 turns.

As far as the fuse goes, I'm not sure. If it has a kickstarter you can try that first.
OK thanks for the tip I'll try adjusting the a/f mixture back to the factory setting, I'll also be replacing the fuses today and hopefully that gets the power back on.
Only other thing I think it could be is this cheap ignition switch I bought might have crapped out or maybe my kill switch is corroded or something?

The bike has no kick starter assembled sadly:(
Thanks for the support.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #4

Okay so I replaced all the 15 fuses in the fuse box and I have power again does anyone know if and where there is a different type of fuse on this bike or 150cc gy6 scooters in general? I'm trying to replace basically anything I can now because the bike is pretty old with little maintance besides fluid changes (not my fualt it was stolen).

Next Saturday I'll drain the old gas that's been sitting for a month now and adjust the a/f mixture screw to the factory setting of two complete turns.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track? If this doesn't help I assume my next plan of action would to be to try to clean the carbuerator yes?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated as I have limited internet access!!

Thanks in advanced everyone.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #5

The idle screw is the one on the throttle. The mixture screw is the one on the side of the carb. Seat ( DO NOT TIGHTEN) the mixture screw, and turn it OUT 2 1/2 turns. Adjust idle screw so bike is not stalling out. Ride/run for 10 minutes. Place bike on center stand. Adust mixture screw in 1/8 turn out incriments, waiting 20sec between turns, until rpms increase until they will increase no more. This is max/lean. Turn screw IN 1/4 TURN, this is Final Mixture. Adjust idle screw to as fast as possible without spinning rear wheel, this should be 1800-2000 rpms.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Thanks so much @blueboy5000 I will start fiddling with the Carb this upcoming Saturday. If the adjustments don't fix the issue then the Carb needs cleaned yeah?
I'm only asking now because I can almost not get the scooter to start and keep it running with out giving it throttle so driving it 10 mins to heat it up might be difficult but I will try the Carb adjustments before I move on. The ks again.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

OK fellas, I'm a full fledged retard.
Turns out the fuel filter was on backwards.
On a hunch I flipped it around and the scoot is running great now except I had to readjust the idle screw from messing with it before!!!
So happy rn.
Blue, I'll remember what you told me about the Carb it'll come in handy soon. Thanks to everyone
Old 06-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Another Problem!?!?!?!?

OK so scooter was running fine all week, replaced all fuses and all that jazz.
This morning I tried to start it to go to work (electric starter) and as soon as the rectifier started to kick in the scooter died.
Couldn't get it to idle at all and was late for work as I had to ride my bike...

What's the issue here now?
Is my rectifier shot? Or do I need to clean the carb?

It has a brand new batter, fuses, ignition switch, spark plug and fuel filter, where do I go from here?

Help please I feel so hopeless now...