Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

125cc Carburetor Question

Just purchased a used Fiddler 125cc that was recently running, but which quit on the PO.

He had messed with the carb, and bent the needle and lost a spring, so after replacing the ignition box, the engine would start and idle, but not run above idle.

I bought a new matching carb (PD 24J) identical to the OEM one, and after installing it, the engine will not start at all (or even "pop"). I tried spraying starting fluid into the intake side of the carb, but I doubt I got anything in there, but in any case, even then the engine would not respond.

The fuel filter has gasoline in it, and I am getting a good spark (with the new electronic ignition box installed).

There is a small electrical solenoid on the side of the carb I assume is a fuel cutoff valve, but checking the voltage at the connector (when connected) there is none evident. With the solenoid unplugged I put a small 12v test light on the wiring harness connector and get a VERY dim bulb (maybe 3v or so). I hooked up the OLD solenoid to the wiring harness (removed from the old carb-the one that would start), and looked into the solenoid port and when attached to the bike's wiring harness, it does not click or move.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but maybe someone can tell me if I should have 12v present on that connector to the fuel solenoid when the 1) Ignition switch is turned to thye RUN position w/ the kill-switch ON?

Thanks-
Bob

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

The solenoid is an electric fuel enrichment. This explains it better than I can
https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...-how-it-works/

First thing (which is pretty common) on gy6s is check the valve adjustment. Bet 9 out of 10 gy6's I work on that the owner says something is wrong with the carb is valve adjustment issues.

This should be really close to your wiring
http://shahsramblings.com/wp-content...m-download.jpg
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Thanks!!

The second link said "Access Denied," but the first was good.

I don't think it's valves because the scooter was running GREAT (started instantly and ran strong) until it suddenly wouldn't start.

The owner incorrectly thought it was a carb problem (without first checking for a spark), so disassembled it and initially lost a spring, then on reassembly didn't have the rubber diaphragm right and the needle wasn't in the jet properly, so he badly bent the needle.

I got the scooter and found the REAL problem was the electronic ignition module (there was no spark), and after I replaced it, the coil, and plug, it started very well again, and idled OK but would die if the throttle was opened (the needle was bent and not allowing the carb piston to rise), so I bought a new carb (to remedy the bent mixture needle which I couldn't get locally), but now even w/ a great spark, and fuel in the filter (the new carb came w/ a transparent inline filter) and everything hooked up properly, it spins over (not with GREAT enthusiasm, but fast enough), makes a good spark, but will not start, or even pop. Since it would start with the old (buggered) carb, I have to believe it's something related to the new one which is a also a PD24-J listed for a 125-150cc GY6 engine).

I was thinking the solenoid was a shut-off solenoid, but evidently it allows full rich without being energized, so even with maybe a couple of volts to the solenoid, it should STILL perform. Short of a bad carb ( float valve stuck closed or something) I don't know why it won't fire.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

I there fuel to the carburetor? You can take the drain plug out of the hose connected to the bottom of the carb. Fuel should come out, if not crank it some and fuel should come out. It should have started and run a bit when spraying carb spray into the carb. What I'd do is make sure it has spark, and fuel ................. and compression. Let us know what you find out.