Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 03-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

Battery Issues?

Hi!

I just got a Taotao scooter! It runs great, but I need to charge the battery before I use it, so I figured the battery was dead, and that I need to get a new one!

It sat all winter which could explain it, but when I pulled out the battery to get the number, I saw it was not the original battery, but was one from Wal-Mart.

That would be at least the second battery since its birth in 2010, and I wonder if replacing the battery is what I need to do... Any thoughts?

One more thing, I know very little about autos... When I pulled the battery out, I noticed two red wires were connected to the positive, and the green wire was connected to the negative polarity. I thought red was negative?? Would the scooter run if it was in backwards? Would that drain the battery, or would it even run? It sounds like the chain isn't 'catching' when I try to start, but then the battery sounds low.

Thanks for any input!

Ride like your life depends on it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

The wires are correct. Green is ground. You could get a voltmeter to check the voltage while running to see if its charging. The stock battery was junk anyway and walmarts probably not far behind. Get an AGM battery from Advance Auto for about 30 bucks. Should do fine. A battery tender is needed to maintain a charge while storing. These are not designed to be fully drained and recharged. For example, boats have 2 options for batteries a starting battery or a deep cycle. The deep cycle is designed to be drained running accessories like electronics then recharged. These scooter batteries are the same as a starting battery-not designed for that.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Wow! Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #4

Thanks again 2-wheeler!

I got the type you recommended, and popped it in.

The scooter started right up, but I'm not sure that's the end of my issues.

This scooter seems to be giving me intermittent problems.

Sometimes, it takes 2, 3, or even 4 tries to start, and using the throttle seems to help it start.

This happened today, after replacing the battery, taking bike into town, and taking a nap that I had trouble starting it.

On the way out, as I was heading up the sidewalk to the street on a very slight hill, the scooter just didn't have any power. I had the throttle all the way engaged, and watched in horror as the bike struggled, and clamored to get it's speed up to- 10-miles an hour! This totally wasn't okay!

As I bounced onto the street, the scooter finally picked up the speed making it to its usual 20-25-miles uphill, but these issues all seem connected somehow.

I need to learn to fix my own bike, I didn't get a scooter to take it to a mechanic!

I don't know anything about vehicles. I'm wondering if it's one of the common problems with these scooters I've encountered.

For the most part, it's when it starts, but it seems like the noise coming from the motor is too harsh, if not too loud. Like it's trying too hard to do what it's doing. When I release the throttle, it immediately loses speed, slowing way down.

Might be partly related to the restriction ring and plate I have yet to remove, but I worry about the 10-mi max speed, combined with struggling scooter, and difficulty starting.

Does anyone know how to isolate, (or already know) what the problem is? Could it be a compression issue, or might I need a ring job (for the bike) or do I maybe need to hurry and get a new carb, properly jetted? -Or is this related to deposits in the fuel making it through the too coarse filter, congesting and slowing it down? [Anyone in Denver?]

Advice would surely be appreciated!

BTW, How is everyone!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luked View Post
Thanks again 2-wheeler!

I got the type you recommended, and popped it in.

The scooter started right up, but I'm not sure that's the end of my issues.

This scooter seems to be giving me intermittent problems.

Sometimes, it takes 2, 3, or even 4 tries to start, and using the throttle seems to help it start.

This happened today, after replacing the battery, taking bike into town, and taking a nap that I had trouble starting it.

On the way out, as I was heading up the sidewalk to the street on a very slight hill, the scooter just didn't have any power. I had the throttle all the way engaged, and watched in horror as the bike struggled, and clamored to get it's speed up to- 10-miles an hour! This totally wasn't okay!

As I bounced onto the street, the scooter finally picked up the speed making it to its usual 20-25-miles uphill, but these issues all seem connected somehow.

I need to learn to fix my own bike, I didn't get a scooter to take it to a mechanic!

I don't know anything about vehicles. I'm wondering if it's one of the common problems with these scooters I've encountered.

For the most part, it's when it starts, but it seems like the noise coming from the motor is too harsh, if not too loud. Like it's trying too hard to do what it's doing. When I release the throttle, it immediately loses speed, slowing way down.

Might be partly related to the restriction ring and plate I have yet to remove, but I worry about the 10-mi max speed, combined with struggling scooter, and difficulty starting.

Does anyone know how to isolate, (or already know) what the problem is? Could it be a compression issue, or might I need a ring job (for the bike) or do I maybe need to hurry and get a new carb, properly jetted? -Or is this related to deposits in the fuel making it through the too coarse filter, congesting and slowing it down? [Anyone in Denver?]

Advice would surely be appreciated!

BTW, How is everyone!
Hi
When was the last timew the valves where adjusted?
Hard starts and loss of power are symptoms of improperly adjusted valves
i check my valves every 750 to 1,000 miles on my 4 stroke motorbikes
Take care andf ride safely
Yours Hank

Old 03-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Thanks Hank!

I'm afraid I don't know, I don't know how to check the valves yet!

But get this, as soon as I left from typing the last post, I went out to start it, and it didn't start at all! It just kept turning over. I pushed it all the way home, and plugged it into the charger, and already it took several hours to charge, though I had just purchased and charged it. When it was full, I unplugged it and took a nap. When I got up, I tried to start it, and it wouldn't start! So I connected to the charger, and it was still charging when I left by foot to type this. Something is draining that battery!

I did make one change, which I undid before the current charging effort. When I took the battery off to replace, I installed the plug for the charger so I could connect it at any time, rather than using the clamps. It has two rings that screw under the wires on the battery terminal, and simply connects to the cord. I wonder if that would've been draining it? The other thing is, the red connection has two wires to connect, and I wonder if it makes a difference what order they're in, or what order the rings on the charger were on. It did run all day though before this, so I wonder if the battery draining all the way was enough to ruin it?

I appreciate all the advice!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

I always ask myself, "what was the last thing I did before it got screwed up"?
It's usually self inflicted
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

I also am not much of a scooter mechanic either, I do, do it however. I found if I have a good service manual, I can do way more than I ever thought I could.

Maybe you can find a service manual in here:http://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/manuals.html for your machine.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #9

Doh!

Thanks Cheapeto, I don't have a manual, but would like one. Someone gave me a link to a tutorial, which made it look easy, but I don't have the power tools.

I did think about what I did Dave C, but I only started, and rode...

I'm afraid I don't know how to adjust the valves yet Hank, `though I want to learn. However, you said you adjust them every 750-1000 miles, yet the bike had only been driven about 350 KM. It may still be the issue, and I'll have to find out how to check.

I said pistons in my post I just posted, but I guess I meant valves. Could the pistons be involved? Does the scenario in my other post sound familiar to anyone who's ridden a 4-stroke?

Thank you so much! I appreciate any wisdom on this!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #10

I bought a Battery Tender (Float Charger) for my bike but it sounds as if you have more problems then that will fix but it does keep your batter charged. By the way , I have never had a problem with a Wal*Mart Battery & I have used them for years! Irish