Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Cleaning Rusted Gas Tanks - and Other Stuff

I am sure that most every scooter repair person has dealt with a rusty gas tank, where water was allowed to sit in it. Typically it means that you either buy a new tank, use some mild acid like vinegar and hope for the best, or you throw some nuts and bolts in to break up the rust, or you flush it and replace the fuel filter many times.

I found a better and easier way to do that. And it works for other rusted parts as well.

I have a 1973 Yamaha CT2 175 Enduro that I rescued from the junk man many years ago. Recently I found the time to start the resurrection, but like most things I had left it underneath the deck. While under there many things became rusted.

I was reading some at a really good yamaha enduro forum and one person was talking about cleaning the tank through electrolysis. I read up on it, then decided to give it a try on the rusty drive chain.

24 hours later and the chain looks almost new very very minimal damage from the rust.

Read up on it yourself at this link, be sure to read the comments as it will help you even further.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...rcycle-Gas-Ta/

From now on, every time I get a rusty tank, or anything else, including yard tools, I am going to remove the rust this way. IT WORKS!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #2

Got a kid in the area with a Honda 250 quad with rusty tank. Might hafta try this!

Karl
Old 03-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

it is working on a severely rusted Yamaha gas tank. I am using some chloroplast from old street signs as a seal for the tank valve and anode holder.

I originally was using a wire coat hanger as a sacrificial anode, but it wasn't doing enough even though I removed the coating. So I switched to a #40 nail which I recovered some from old deck boards and it is doing lots better.

Lots and lots of rust is traveling to the nail and i swapped out my first nail today as it was almost destroyed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads