Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Title/Registration Issue

So I bought a 250cc scoot from the family of a deceased man. The scoot had about 50 miles on it and the family provided a bill of sale, and a photo copy of the certificate of origin. The scoot has never been titled or registered as it was owned by an elderly man that lived in a gated community and he rode it from his place to the front gate and back.

I went to DMV and tried to title & register it and they were absolutely no help at all. After waiting for an hour I explained the situation to the cs agent and she simply said she could not help me.

What are my options for getting this thing road legal? The company the guy bought it from brand new is no longer in business, I think it is Sunny Motor Sports in LA California. I have the original receipt from Sunny Motor Sports, a copy of the Cert of Origin, and a bill of sale. I thought maybe I could get a non-transferable registration for now so that it is legal to ride, but I can't seem to get ANY ASSISTANCE AT ALL from DMV.

How do I get this thing legally titled and registered?

Thanks in advance guys!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

First off, Where are you. DMV laws very from state to state and even county to county in some states.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

California.. San Francisco.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

OKay, find one of those REG (Private DMV Shops) and talk to them. You most likely will have to pay the fines. and I bet you need to get a notarized letter explaining the details from the family. But as for the DMV they cant help you. The Dealer was suppose to send in the Titles paperwork to start off with and it will all be locked up in the old owners files.

Ca DMV sucks for these issues and I never seen them be helpful. Worse case is you have to go out of state and get it Reg there so you get a title. (But I didnt tell you that)
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #5

See if they will allow you to apply for a bonded title. You post a sureity bond against any claims to the title of the scoot. Amount of the bond varies by state.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 06-12-2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: speLin
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #6

You're having the same issue I am. Starting July 1 Virginia requires all scooters to be titled and registered. I have the needed paperwork but the title application says I need a bill of sale. I emailed the DMV and told them I didn't have one. I bought it over three years ago, I don't even remember from where and I have nothing to show. The response I got looked like they copied and pasted the section off their website about how to title a vehicle. No help at all. I'm not really sure what I can do to get around the bill of sale. Other than having a friend write one for me.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #7

Are you sure it's even CARB approved? It should have a green sticker or something. Sunny Sports is Scooterdepot.us as far as I know. If it says Sunny anywhere on the scooter I would try contacting them.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #8

In FLA you can download a bill of sale. Both parties fill it out and sign it.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

I was thinking about the out of state scenario too. If there was a way to make that work, then I would..... If it weren't too expensive that is

Anyway these seem to be cautionary tales. I would NEVER buy a vehicle that requires a title to get it registered/insured without said title....NEVER, EVER!!!

AND, before plunking down $$ I'd be damned sure the VIN on the title presented to the buyer actually matches the VIN on the frame. (and it better have one on the frame)

Just sayin.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #10

Mine cost me like $340.00 bucks or something like that to have one made in PA.

Tags
250cc, license, registration, title