Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

time not using a 49 cc scooter

I'm curious is it ok to let your scooter sit for 5 to 7 days without starting it ? I have a brand new a 49cc gt 50 scooter made by jijue (did I spell that right? ) I really like it will probably use it three to four times a week so it might sit for 3 days without being started is that ok it's got 10 miles on it now and I'm really loving this thing

Also curious can you ride these scooters without having issues? can you take a trip one way 30 miles or more ( a 60-mile round trip) or is that too much for a small little scooter?

I'm going to be using it mostly in rural areas I'm going to stay off the main streets because I'm scared to death of the way people drive

but if I can find a park, fishing pier or beach that I can go to if it's 25 miles away are these things made to go that far without causing problems?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #2

First, I think I just answered that. Yes, you can let it sit for a week.
Two, Jiajue makes scooters for Bintelli. They don't build junk. I took my 50cc bike on an eighty mile round trip worry free. Don't run wide open all day and you're fine.

Use your eyes and your mirrors and cars will be a minimal problem. You and the scooter will be fine.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

thanks!! Im a retired over 50 guy And I bought it to get around our community and also to go and enjoy the parks in the area the beach the pier and places like that but I really hate driving this thing on the city street where the speed limits is 35 and over or people just do NOT pay attention

I'm afraid I'll sit at a red light someone will be texting and rear end me I've seen it happen way too many times

I'm looking for side streets Backroads and places I can go that the back roads would take me so I can get out of the way if I see a car coming behind me.

I really am nervous I haven't ridden the scooter in years so I'm in the learning curve at the moment just taking it easy on smaller roads.

Riding a scooter feels like riding on the hood of the car. It will take some getting used to especially when you get moving about 20 mph and feel the wind blowing at you, also, I DO wear a DOT approved helmet

maybe I'll get Brave as time goes by but the way people drive it scary

I'm lucky that where I live we have a lot of side street probably 15 miles worth of 25 miles per hour and below and new subdivisions that I can ride in and out of until I get very comfortable

the problem is I have to drive on a main road for a mile or so to get to those areas

thank God they have a shoulder I can ride on if I see cars coming behind me because cars make me very nervous

Last edited by scoot55; 09-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #4

Be as visible as possible, make sure your headlight is working, it should be a full time headlight, I tap the brakes enough so the brake light will flash if I'm worried about a car coming up to fast from behind or even before starting to slow down for a turn. Light colored clothing helps and you could get a safety vest one of those orange things construction crews wear. You might as well be prepared though, cars are going to not see you, it happens, give them plenty of room, think ahead, be prepared, ride defensively, ride like you're invisible. I'll be 70 next month and ride a couple of scooters and peddle around on a bike. Lots of lights and lots of white shirts is my way of keeping the risks in my favor. Heck, I even put daytime running lights on my old Toyota a while back.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #5

[Riding a scooter feels like riding on the hood of the car. It will take some getting used to especially when you get moving about 20 mph and feel the wind blowing at you, also, I DO wear a DOT approved helmet ]
The best piece of safety gear I can suggest is to take the Motorcycle Safety Course like this one: http://www.pamsp.com/ it is the one I signed up for few years back. For myself, as older guy, getting back to 2 wheels since the 70's. 2 days of talking, 2 days of learning evasive maneuvers, plus I walked away with my motorcycle license to boot!!
It's a free service in here in PA.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Enjoy the new scooter! Take a motorcycle safety course, or see if they offer a scooter specific one. I always wondered who set the 35 mph limit on mopeds. If you cannot travel on the highways/interstates then make the limit for a moped 45 mph. 45 mph will give you a fighting chance on more roads. I have one "moped" class scooter that goes 38 MAX. I've been tempted to hot-rod it but its super reliable and I dont mind taking some back streets and explore.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

I feel comfortable letting my 125 cc scooter sit unused for an entire month. Gasoline used to be good for 6 months. However, the new ethanol formulations of petrol (to meet new pollution standards) have cut that number in half. You shouldn't have to worry about a couple weeks of inactivity but I wouldn't push that number much more than a month.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

My scooter has set unused, five months at a time, for each of the past 6 winters. Hasn't hurt a thing. Get a junior size battery maintainer, so you can plug it in when scooter is napping. Keep up with the maintenance, and as stated above, ride sensibly.

Have fun..

Old 09-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #9

thanks for the adivce I have been getting . I think some are misunderstanding what I am asking, I don't plan on leaving it for months unused there might be 7 days that I don't use it I live in a warm climate so I'll use it often I may let it sit for 6 or 7 days and I don't know if that will cause carburetor problems or starting issues and that's what I was asking I'm not going to let it sit for an extended length of time
Old 09-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #10

I would have thought you would have had that question answered when I deliberately went down to the garage and started my ten year old China scoot after a month with ancient gas in the tank.

Another anecdote for you then. Five years ago I finally got around to replacing the cylinder head on that same scooter. It had sat for a year waiting for me to fix it. After installing the new head I charged the battery and it fired right up, settled into a nice idle and ran cleanly on the ensuing test ride. All with year old gas in the tank and carburetor.

I don't understand what you are looking for here. Do some people have trouble with ethanol AFTER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Yes. But three or four days isn't an extended period. Much like your fears of traffic it sounds like you worry too much. Relax and just enjoy the ride. My previous wife died of cancer after living a clean and healthy life, exercising every day and eating healthy foods. No guarantees in this world and none of us are leaving here alive.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
I would have thought you would have had that question answered when I deliberately went down to the garage and started my ten year old China scoot after a month with ancient gas in the tank.

Another anecdote for you then. Five years ago I finally got around to replacing the cylinder head on that same scooter. It had sat for a year waiting for me to fix it. After installing the new head I charged the battery and it fired right up, settled into a nice idle and ran cleanly on the ensuing test ride. All with year old gas in the tank and carburetor.

I don't understand what you are looking for here. Do some people have trouble with ethanol AFTER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. Yes. But three or four days isn't an extended period. Much like your fears of traffic it sounds like you worry too much. Relax and just enjoy the ride. My previous wife died of cancer after living a clean and healthy life, exercising every day and eating healthy foods. No guarantees in this world and none of us are leaving here alive.
well said!! I agree and I did just that>>>Relax and just enjoy the ride<<< yup that is what I did, I went on a 40 mile scooter trip today was nice, fun and had a good time I did however stay on many side roads but it still was a great time!!