Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 AM   #1

Suggestion for new scooter

I am a new rider with some limited motorcycle experience. I am on a budget, no more than $1500, for my first scooter. I live in a small town so am using this to run errands and to go to the outskirts of town occasionally. Open to models up to 150cc right now, but my biggest problem is that I am 6'1" and 276 lb. What are some reasonable quality options to get started on for now? My budget is strict, due to being on limited income, so I know that will eliminate a lot of options. Not sure if I am going Euro Retro styling or Modern Sport styling yet, so let me know what your ideas are and we can go from there.

Brad

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

Since you are tall, look for a scoot with a long flat seat, so you can get comfy. Many scooter seats have a ridge between the driver and passenger part of the seat. That makes it tough to slide back and stretch your legs.
-Your budget seems right for a new 125 China scoot or used 125 Taiwan scoot.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Since you are tall, look for a scoot with a long flat seat, so you can get comfy. Many scooter seats have a ridge between the driver and passenger part of the seat. That makes it tough to slide back and stretch your legs.
-Your budget seems right for a new 125 China scoot or used 125 Taiwan scoot.
Sometimes the budget picks you. Since I am having to set aside some of the little spare money I have left each month, I have to be careful with the budget. Are there particular brands you would recommend? Also, I would point out that finding any scooters locally is difficult. We have a few riders around here, but most people ride cruiser style motorcycles in my area, which to be honest, was a little tough to adapt to in the motorcycle course(I am going to retry it on a scooter this time, though it means a bit of travel...small towns for ya).

Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

What is your location? I would suggest a used Genuine Buddy 125. The best bang for your buck. They go for as cheap as $500 up to $1500 around here, so you pick one on price. A Honda Helix is another option, but they tend to still command top dollar if the seller knows what they have. I almost bought one for $1000 in VERY nice condition not long ago. I do agree with a new 125-150cc China scooter. The larger cc China motors are built better than the 50cc versions. No other options are popping in my head right now....
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

Another thing that helps a tall rider is the ability to swap the handlebars, as you would on a motorcycle. The Yamaha Vino 125 has no fairing (plastic) covering the handle bars, so you can install bars with more rise to fit you. The Vino 125is pricey, but very reliable, so you may find a used one in your budget.
-On the Chinese side, the Ruckus clone naked scooters (like Ice Bear)also have naked handlebars so you can swap them if needed.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
What is your location? I would suggest a used Genuine Buddy 125. The best bang for your buck. They go for as cheap as $500 up to $1500 around here, so you pick one on price. A Honda Helix is another option, but they tend to still command top dollar if the seller knows what they have. I almost bought one for $1000 in VERY nice condition not long ago. I do agree with a new 125-150cc China scooter. The larger cc China motors are built better than the 50cc versions. No other options are popping in my head right now....
I live in Marion, Virginia.....a small town with no scooter stores anywhere nearby. There is a Kymco dealer nearby but I don't think they stock the scooters. I have decided on a 150cc because of living in a hilly area, and the fact I might want to occasionally take the backroads to other towns in my area. We did have one person get killed on a scooter taking the backroads(which is actually a state highway here), got hit by a truck head on, but I do wonder if that may not have been due to riding too small an engine.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Another thing that helps a tall rider is the ability to swap the handlebars, as you would on a motorcycle. The Yamaha Vino 125 has no fairing (plastic) covering the handle bars, so you can install bars with more rise to fit you. The Vino 125is pricey, but very reliable, so you may find a used one in your budget.
-On the Chinese side, the Ruckus clone naked scooters (like Ice Bear)also have naked handlebars so you can swap them if needed.

Will bear that in mind, though I don't particularly care much for the Ruckus style. I have seen a few Ice Bear models though......any idea on quality there, for what it is?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #8

I have run some of your roads in that area, a few years ago. IMHO, personally I would go with the 400 myself. The second one is close to your area, and they seem to have the prices your looking for.
https://swva.craigslist.org/mcy/d/so...619006238.html or
https://swva.craigslist.org/mcd/d/sc...631875183.html

I know NOTHING of either sellers, just a simple CL search. Best of luck in your choice of scooter.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #9

In general, Kymcos do not fit tall riders very well.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
In general, Kymcos do not fit tall riders very well.
Did find a Genuine dealer two hours away, but that is still a haul home most likely. At least it will give me the option to look at them first hand.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapeto View Post
I have run some of your roads in that area, a few years ago. IMHO, personally I would go with the 400 myself. The second one is close to your area, and they seem to have the prices your looking for.
https://swva.craigslist.org/mcy/d/so...619006238.html or
https://swva.craigslist.org/mcd/d/sc...631875183.html

I know NOTHING of either sellers, just a simple CL search. Best of luck in your choice of scooter.
Outside of one section of very hilly area on VA-11(Lee Highway), the only other real concern is Main Street here in Marion. If I went out to Hungry Mother Lake, there are a few ways to get out there, but the quickest from my apartment isn't that difficult.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

Bintelli is starting to bring in larger scooters, and if they are a good as the 50cc's, they should be nicer scooters at a fair price. I know our local dealer says that Bintelli stands behind their products. WOLF is also coming out swinging. Starting to see more out on the roads. If I knew you were looking Brad-a friend sold a Yamaha Majesty 400cc for $1000. New tires, cvt belt, air filters, ALL fluids changed and completely gone thru. He bought a new house and has not ridden it for awhile so it was just sitting. I almost bought it. I borrowed it and the wife and I put almost 700 miles on it during the weekend we had it! Little rough around the edges but rode great. No safety issues and super reliable. A friend at work bought it. Deals are out there, you just have to be in the right place at the right time OR know someone one.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

That Burgman 400, if in good shape, is a DEAL! They are tanks. Reliable and quick.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #14

Kymco makes a 125cc motorcycle that may fit you, called the K-Pipe. They retail for 2 grand. But you may be able to find a used one. The K-Pipe is considerably taller than a Grom.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 07-15-2018 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 07-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #15

Altho I'm more into motorcycles than scooters , the same thinking goes into ANY motorvehicle. Ride or drive what you are happy with. I have been riding since 15 & I am 74 now , so I speak from experience. If you are riding something that makes you unhappy , you will treat it wrong mechanically & ride recklessly! Irish