Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 04-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #1

New scooter, everything falling off.

I just bought a new 150cc Chinese scooter and in 30 miles... The intake boot fell off, the exhaust Head nuts fell off, the vent hoses had the clamps off the nipples, the trunk latch was out of adjustment, five body bolts are stripped, one luggage rack bolt is missing.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to tighten everything up on these scooters? When I called the dealer they blamed the Chinese and said it was not their job to check every bolt...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #2

They blamed the chinese? I
All of them?

I'm sorry for your problem , but thanks for the Laugh.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #3

There is a thread in the General Scooter Discussion section, called .PDI, (Post Delivery Inspection). If read, and followed, problems such as yours, can be eliminated.

Sorry you didn't know about doing a PDI before you purchased your scoot. If you are mechanically inclined, and stay on top of the general maintenance, you can turn your Chinese Scooter into a dependable mode of transportation......and a joy to own.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Did you order from a online/drop ship to your door dealer or is this an actual brick and mortar store? Or local dealer still carries a few China brand scooters and goes over them before selling them, as they already have an idea of what fails and when. If it was purchased from an actual b and m dealer, imagine how their service and repair side works!
Old 04-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

It was a brick and mortar store, and I assumed they did the PDI and that was the reason for the$300 Mark up from there online prices, but I was wrong. However the manager agreed to replace all the missing and stripped bolts, granted I think I want to replace the stripped ones with quality bolts instead. You live and learn. Other than those issues I'm starting to really like the scooter for food delivery in town. It's peppy and accelerates to 35mph as quick as the cars do, so it serves it's purpose well.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #6

You just ran into the MAIN reason that I started my own shops in N.H. Now I live in Fla & I'm to old. (75) Irish
Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #7

it's not that it's chinese, mine has over thirty thousand and still going strong.

sounds like the people you brought it off didn't bother checking it.

i guess you can either send it back or do the fix yourself/take to garage, i recommend buying off individual people rather than companies in future. (i've had similar problems in past meh)

glad you said it's running, hopefully be ok (still get it checked *by garage)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #8

So I fixed all those problems. But now I have a new set of problems. The starter almost never turns, it acts like the solenoid isn't working. But the kick start works fine. And the front fender was shattered by the mounting points on the top of the fork. I think I am just going to replace it with one that mounts to the top mounting point on the fork.

Oddly enough even with all the problems I am starting to like the bike. I have done 500km on it (first oil and gear oil change I did at 300km) and have done about 80km of dirt road/trail riding with it. So if it can handle that I guess it can't be that bad. Now I just need to find some good sand tires, this thing slides and wallows all over when I hit deep Sandy gravel. I think I might go for some maxxis nobbies or Kenda nobbies.