Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 03:08 AM   #1

I'm Heavy, will a 400cc be Okay?

Hello Everyone, Tried a topic search didn't find what I was looking for. I am getting ready to buy a decent used Scooter. My wife has one and we'd like to ride together. I'm 6' 2" , 327lbs. I have some disabilities but they won't prevent me from riding. I decided against
a Motorcycle as it would be to difficult to get on and off. I have been looking at some Yamaha Burgman's, each size. I like the 650 but more expensive and harder to find. I found several 400's and I like a few of them. What do you think with my weight and height? Will the 400 work well for me, are they comfortable and what other brands would meet my needs for comfort?
I appreciate any and all replies.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #2

IMHO, yes a 400 will fine as far as weight goes, with your 6'2" size, you may need to roll the handlebars forward if possible, maybe a riser added. But power should be fine.
I've heard some guys with Suzuki's complain about how hard the the tupperware is to get off to service the variator and clutch bell can be.
Best of luck man!
Old 05-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

What size scooter does your girl ride? You may be able to keep up with her on a 250.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

I'm 5'8" & I weighed (at the time) 230lbs. Before I had my current bike , I had a 250cc. For most people , it would be sufficient. I'm addicted to power so now I ride a 2006 Sportster 1200 with a DMC trike kit. If you want to get on a cycle , you can buy foot pads & have them custom installed. (that's what I did) It help's you get on fine! I hope this helps! You shrink , when you get older. Everything that I have (including my operators license) says 5' 10". Irish
P.S. I'm down to 225Lbs & hope to lose more! Should be easy. The chemo has ruined my appetite!
Old 05-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #5

So many variables. All I can think is you'll just have to try to find what works for you. I get along fine around town on the 150cc scooter, it keeps up with local traffic but I wouldn't want to go on a highway very far with it. The 50cc scooter I enjoy the most but it won't keep up traffic on the major streets through town. So to answer your question... I don't know.
Irish, more prayers coming ur way.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

My wife and I ride 2 up on a Burgman 200, and we have a combined weight of roughly 415ish pounds. We have never had it struggle with the weight on board and have taken it on some silly long rides, both interstate and backroads. So, it depends on what type of riding you plan to do AND what size the wife's scooter is. Kinda match her cc size or up it by around 50cc to 100cc and you should both be fine. Do you really need a 650 if she has a 125? I also see the hint (6/2 327) that you dont wanna look like a bear on a mini bike. The 400 Burgman is a great scooter. There is also a Honda Silverwing thats a great used option if bigger is better.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #7

The Burg man 200 is a top tier scooter and one of the most desireable scoots available. I think a good 2 50cc scoot would be adequate, but you will definitely need a 350 or 400 to keep up with her at 80mph.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

A Burgman 400 will be fine for up to about 75 mph. It can do 85 if you push it, but it's breathing hard. (and I'm only 175 lbs.)

For around town riding, city and suburbs, it is pretty much effortless. Tons of torquey power, up to 60 mph. If you're in a tight city area or won't go above 55 mph much, you'd be better off with a 200, I think. They don't have as much clutch slip before they really get going in earnest. They are also more nimble and easier to handle at parking lot speeds.

Last thing, and please don't take it badly: lose some weight. It'll make everything better in your life. Look into The Perfect Health Diet. It's pretty easy to follow, and you still get to have some healthy carbs. (white rice, starchy vegetables like taters) Oiive and coconut oil for cooking, beef, lamb and duck fat are all encouraged too. Pork and chicken/turnkey are considered neutral. Buy the book, it was written by a husband/wife pair of PhD researchers and everything makes sense to me. (except why white rice is OK but white bread isn't)

The Burgman 400 has preload-adjustable rear shocks. You'll want it on the firmest or second to firmest position, so that you're not bottoming out.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
So many variables. All I can think is you'll just have to try to find what works for you. I get along fine around town on the 150cc scooter, it keeps up with local traffic but I wouldn't want to go on a highway very far with it. The 50cc scooter I enjoy the most but it won't keep up traffic on the major streets through town. So to answer your question... I don't know.
Irish, more prayers coming ur way.
Is that where "Street Outlaws" is filmed? It's one of my favorite shows. It brings back a lot of memories from the "old days" when you were young & invinceable.