Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 3-Wheeled Scooters

Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #1

Ice Bear News Modified 300’s

Okay here we go.

Ice Bear sent me an advanced copy of an excel sheet of some of the changes that were made to the Magnums. This information is not on their web site yet but, gives some info and pictures of what is going on. The pictures are not the greatest, they were taken off an excell spreadsheet and converter to a jpeg. Better than nothing LOL. The reasoning is Ice Bear's not mine, except where noted.

Suspension
2011: Independent Suspension
2012: Solid Axle
Independent suspension might cause the rear bridge to loosen.
New suspension system increases the stability.

My comments, where the independent rear suspension was an improvement over the original in 2010, they didn't change the swing arm like they did on this mod ( next set of pictures). From what I can see, there is an additional plate for the rear fender to mount too, that was there on the independent but, was not there on the 2010 models. You will also see the rear swing arm has been completely changed.

Rear Swing Arm
2011: Single bracket swing arm
25012: Dual bracket swing arm
The Dual bracket swing arm design allows 2 additional cushions.
One between the rear swing arm and the main frame;
the other between the rear swing arm and the engine.

Cushion between swing arm & main frame

Cushion between swing arm & engine ---1

Cushion between swing arm & engine---2

My comments: With the addition of the "cushions" I would think that engine to frame vibration will be decreased as well as providing a more solid mounting system for the engine.

Exhaust System
2011: Single Exhaust System
2012: Dual Exhaust System
Reduce the possibility of exhaust breaking issue.
Increase weight balance and stability.

My Comments: I like the look of the dual exhaust mufflers and the way they are mounted. Looks better than that ugly muffler they used before. Hopefully the chrome is better than some of the chrome mufflers I have seen. This style system would allow changing the mufflers to a Harley Style Shortie muffler like what was used on a customers Road Warrior that I did a post on earlier. I also feel the exhaust will move faster out of the engine which will help with how the motor breathes.

Balancer
2011: No balancer
2012: Balancer inside the frame
Resolve issue of front end wobbling.

My comments: They call it a balancer but more like a steering damper that the "big" trikes use to stop "tank Slap". Honda Gold Wing Trikes had a problem with this at around 30MPH. Some of the Harley Trikes had this also especially with extended or raked front ends. Loose triple tree bearings can also cause this. I think this is a great mod since any rear wobble will be felt in the handle bars and this should eliminate that. The tank slap was more so in the 2010s than in the 2011s.

Side Panel
2011: No side cover
2012: Add side cover
Cosmetic change

My Comments: Ice Bear calls this a cosmetic change but, by extending the side panels like this, it will also add more support to the sides. This should help with side cracks.

As I said in the beginning, this is advanced information that has not been finalized or published on their site yet. It was sent to me for my comments and there may be more to come. If so I will post it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Guest_2; 11-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.