Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Question Weak spark? No spark?

So about 3 weeks ago I was riding my little yy50qt-6 just like I had been for months since I got it. One day my neighbor asked for a favor for me to ride to the store, so I said ok and went to crank it up. Mind you this was with a good brand new battery I bought thinking some of it's issues were battery-absent related. So Since then it just don't crank period.

I've abused the kick start so I don't like using it since my battery is super great. I took the spark plug out, looked black[maybe from where I ran it rich] so I got a new plug, brand new sparkly and both produced orange weak sparks when I hit the start button. This tells me both plugs are good. I got an ignition coil in the works to replace, but I'm concerned it's much bigger.

I did ride in rain a few times not on purpose, but you know I went to town about 30mins ride on my scooter and when I was going home it rained. Now I have worn ponchos but one time it stormed insane. Like I saw lightning about 40ft from the road from me strike while hurrying home since the bottom just fell out. I had a poncho on, but it was like flash flood rain. Now I didn't run through puddles like that though, I mean it was just raining that hard.

So if it's the stator, I found a rebuilding the stator tut, http://www.instructables.com/id/Rebu...g-the-support/

Now I know this is for an actual bike, but is it possible to do this for our own stators instead of putting out $$$$ like it's nothing?

I took the entire body apart to get into figuring it out, and I do wonder if there's something more I need to figure out. Also, is there a way to wire the spark plug directly to the battery to produce normal spark and not fry anything?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #2

Update, I ordered a combo: ignition coil, cdi, and new spark plug for like 12 bux from amazon. I will be installing and attempting a crank. Will update and let know what happened. If anything at least it can be an archive when I am done for those who experience the same problem in the future. Now I won't be putting all new parts on immediately, I will be checking each new part for functionality.

Anyways, hope somebody does know more if you do reply please!!