Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #1

Hi Blowing fuses at high RPMs

Alright guys, pleased to be a part of the forums. I've been a lurker for a while using other's posts to solve or diagnose problems, however today I have a problem that I cannot find a solution to.
I have a TaoTao Atm50-A1 with a gy6 engine.
Here in Florida we had bad rain for about 2 weeks without a break and I've continued to use the scooter. I imagine that's normally ok but there were also some deep puddles I've had to slowly wade through. The scooter still worked ok for a while. The blinkers hadn't been working for nearly the entire time that I had the scooter and I decided to finally get around and replace the relay. However the relay that I ordered caused the main fuse to blow as soon as I turned the key switch on. Well I figured out the cable colors weren't matching and switched the pins around and it worked great. Recently the scooter stopped sparking, so instead of hassling with diagnosing the problem I decided I'd just buy all new electrical parts ha-ha. Everything prior to this point happened within the 2 weeks of rain.
I replaced the stator, cdi, and regulator. Yay it works! However, when the bike revs it blows the main fuse. At first I thought maybe the blinker relay was still the culprit so I removed it but no luck. I've followed as many wires as I can to see if it's shorting but I've had no luck finding any. Could the rain have ruined something I'm not thinking of of? Or is it something else?

Thanks for all the support guys.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #2

Ok I did some more testing, taking the regulator off and revving the engine does not result in a blown fuse. Although it obviously results in lack of charging as well. I tested both the regulators, old and new, and neither of them are giving readings according to what this generic gy6 manual I found online says it should. However the manual also says the wires should be positioned differently than they are so I guess it's possible that it doesn't apply to my regulator. On my regulator the only reading I can get is 1.8 million Ohms on the +white to -red pin.

Also, what size fuse should I be using? I'm reading online and I think mine might be the wrong size. I've got a 3a 250v ac

Edit: the fuse is OK while the bike is running at idle. The battery is reading about 12.8v then as I slowly begin to Rev the engine the battery raises to about 13v before the fuse blows.

Last edited by M_nation; 08-07-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #3

Ok guys a stuck a 10a fuse in and everything seems peachy. I'll report back if I have any more problems, you can mark the thread as solved however. Thanks to everybody who took the time to read my post!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
cdi, electrical, fuse, regulator, stator