Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

Good carb for Taotao 50cc?

Hello. Newbie here. This forum is a great resource and have learned a lot already.

Trying to find out if anyone has any personal experience/knowledge of the following carb as a replacement on a Taotao 50cc (ATM50-A1).

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph...ID/3/cPath/280

(If you get an error with your browser about cookies, just click on continue, then re-paste the link and it will work. Not sure why it does that.)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #2

Any 18mm carb of that style will be fine.

I'd chek out scrappydogscooters, that's where I buy my carbs (and most of my parts) they ship quick and are great at answering any questions you have.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
Any 18mm carb of that style will be fine.

I'd chek out scrappydogscooters, that's where I buy my carbs (and most of my parts) they ship quick and are great at answering any questions you have.
Thanks for the feedback blueboy5000. I have read good things about the KEIHIN carbs. I think anything is better than what came on the scoot.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #4

Yes many come with a " EPA carb " that has the air/fuel screw covered , too small of a main jet , no needle clip to adjust the needle position and a few have the bowl riveted on instead of screws . There is more than one type or model of carb that the 4T 50s come with so compare yours with pictures of carbs of interest before buying . I would call Scrappy or email MO to get advice . I would try to get a 20mm in case you have a " Secret 63cc " like mine was , or if you plan to install a BBK or unrestricted exhaust later . On this page http://www.partsforscooters.com/Stre...tors-and-Parts it shows 4 types often used . When looking for parts instead of trying by TaoTao ATMa look for 139QMB ( engine type ) as almost all China scooters are the same just with diff names . AT Scrappys the have it listed for stock as well as high performance sections .

I would read this alert ( even though it may not apply to newer models ) on TaoTao ATMa carb problems http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/threa...5014=undefined
Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttadawg View Post
Yes many come with a " EPA carb " that has the air/fuel screw covered , too small of a main jet , no needle clip to adjust the needle position and a few have the bowl riveted on instead of screws . There is more than one type or model of carb that the 4T 50s come with so compare yours with pictures of carbs of interest before buying . I would call Scrappy or email MO to get advice . I would try to get a 20mm in case you have a " Secret 63cc " like mine was , or if you plan to install a BBK or unrestricted exhaust later . On this page http://www.partsforscooters.com/Stre...tors-and-Parts it shows 4 types often used . When looking for parts instead of trying by TaoTao ATMa look for 139QMB ( engine type ) as almost all China scooters are the same just with diff names . AT Scrappys the have it listed for stock as well as high performance sections .

I would read this alert ( even though it may not apply to newer models ) on TaoTao ATMa carb problems http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/threa...5014=undefined
Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

That carb link look's like the carb that came stock on my 09 jonway 50.
All i had to do is remove the end cap to adjust the air/fuel mix.

Can't say anything about rebuilding it as i haven't had to in the 3 years i have had this scooter, but if the need be i can.

Good carb and not a bad price/shipping.
---------------------------------------------------
Now like SK said a 20 mm carb might be the way to go.
If you plan on installing a Big bore kit, sometime. (soon if your running too lean at WOT all the time) Then go with a 20mm carb.(yes you can use a 20mm carb as a replacement to the 18mm carb)

That 18mm carb will work just fine, and you might find it better for you'r current stock setup.

Ride,try then buy mod'$ .. you never know, but that stock EP carb, has got to go...

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

hey larrball.i have the same scoot but a two stroke.mine is a 2011 and came from cal.i also have a brass cap and would like to see if I could get the cap off.could you tell me how you did it?i was having problems starting mine but seems to be getting better.it has 136 miles on it and I would like to adjust the carb cause I live in the mountains of n.c and that's a lot different from cal.mine runs fine its getting it started when cold.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint51 View Post
hey larrball.i have the same scoot but a two stroke.mine is a 2011 and came from cal.i also have a brass cap and would like to see if I could get the cap off.could you tell me how you did it?i was having problems starting mine but seems to be getting better.it has 136 miles on it and I would like to adjust the carb cause I live in the mountains of n.c and that's a lot different from cal.mine runs fine its getting it started when cold.
P.M. Sent

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t