Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #1

'12 sunny-please help before i light it on fire

This is what is going on, scooter had sat for about 3 years when I bought it I brought it home cleaned it up, Replace the gas, replace the plug, and deep cleaned it, At that point it fired up pretty well and would idle but wouldn't run great. So I replaced the carb thinking that would make the most sense considering the whole scooter only has 400 miles on it The 2nd carb essentially did the same thing it would start right up and run then after putting a couple miles on it it would start to bog out and wouldn't take a load. It would start and idol just fine but if you try to go it would not, so I opted for carb number 3, at a little higher cost thinking may be a better carb would solve the situation again not the case. It has had intermittent spurts of Running just fine and then if I come to a stop and start to take off again it does not like that at all. It still idols and starts just fine. It just will not run If someone is sitting on it trying to go. At this point I am wondering if there is something other than the carburetor that could be causing this issue that I just can't think of. this is the 3rd one of these I have rebuilt so I have some basic functional knowledge, I've had 2 torn down 100% and rebuilt 100%, that I have struggled with carburetor and fuel pressure I am still working through that issue and I am beginning to think these are just way more temperamental than they ought to be for as few moving parts as there actually are.
I stripped this bike down when I got it, emptied the tank, cleaned it completely inside with brake cleaner, replace the fuel pump/valve assembly, replaced all the fuel line and filter, replaced all the vacuum lines. i added a higher flow fuel pump off a 150cc after I had the thought about it not getting enough fuel and draining the bowl, that didn't help so I removed it to try to diagnose from the start again. I have had the carb off like 3 times changing jets as my last ditch effort.
The new fuel pump /valve works fine, fuel flows readily when I apply suction to the vacuum line. That's why I'm oddly beginning to wonder if it could be something NOT fuel related, possibly Magneto or voltage reg? That is about the only thing electrical that affects the actual running of the skoot that I haven't replaced.
I have replaced ALL the other running components - CDI, ignition relay / plug wire, plug.
And to be clear there was a point when it was running GREAT, then it just didn't. I thought it was good to go, I was headed out for a test ride after about a solid 2 miles is when it decided NOPE, that's when I added the extra fuel pump thinking it was acting like my other skoots when I drain the bowl, but this one just never came back after that.

I have a video that I can't post because its too large so I posted it to my FB
https://www.facebook.com/SkorchedAssSK if any one has a minute or two to take a look.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-11-2021, 11:52 PM   #2

Why was it off the road sitting for 3 years? Low miles don't always mean taken care of. Check the following:
Check the engine valves/lash. Over tight valves do bad things quick.
Stator failing?
Correct spark plug?
Plug cap tight fitting on spark plug?
Loosen gas cap and see if symptoms persist. Could be vapor lock.
Possible transmission issue.
You Tube is your friend for how-to procedures.
Keep us posted and good luck.