Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 05-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Performance gy6 150 based turbo+Stroker

Hello to anyone reading this post!
I do automotive performance and was gearing up to overhaul the 5.2L small block mopar in my truck to a 7.xL stroker truck, with twin turbo's...Somewhere around 1,200 - 1,400hp at all 4 wheels.
After an accident that resulted in the truck rolling over, I've put the project on hold while i repair the body. (no mechanical damage!)
This waiting period will last for an expected 3-6months, Then the stroker build will take an estimated 2-3years to finish.

So this wait has me wanting to build another performance gy6 scooter! (To get to and from work, and be a showpiece)

So firstly, I have a question. after that, I will have answers.

Can I install a 8.2mm stroker on a stock bore gy6? I understand I will need to bore the crank case halves in any case. or is a larger bore needed? for my use im trying to keep bore as small as possible.

Now that that is out of the way,

I'm going to be building a stroker gy6 scooter. Intended use is daily driver and weekend drag strip warrior. I also will be trying out a dual fuel system for use with high boost. http://www.scootdawg.net/images/smil...y-drinking.gif

That brings me to a sort of hot topic among gy6 users.

WILL IT FLOW ENOUGH FOR A TURBO?!?!?!?

Well that is highly dependant on the turbo model you use. The one im looking at is a BABY. a 125 gy6 will make about 4psi at 8000rpm on the model. a 150 will do 6-7psi at that RPM.

My intention is to create a fuel injected gy6 scooter...That gets 50-60mpg under cruise (~4500-5500rpms) but when needed will be able to build (and maintain) 20-25psi of boost,and create 30-40hp.

* I have to say it is not a thought in my mind to create a kit for sale. However, if enough people would like one, then it may be,but at this time i do custom builds, not mass-market ones. (lol) *

anyway....my plan is for a undersquare engine, im undecided between big 2 valve or 4 valve,not for n/a performance, but for turbo spooling.
my last build was 2 valve, stock valve size,but ported & polished. made about 5psi at 5000, with a ram air intake. unfortunately no pictures.

my thoughts are a bit scrambled right now, my apoligies....18 hour work day.
main question again. smallest bore i can use to get away with a 8.2 stroker?

if anyone has any questions for me, go right ahead.

it was either build a performance gy6, or buy another kawasaki ninja, the guys over on ninja400 forums didnt take so kindly to the whole turbo idea. so heres where i am.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #2

er, sorry. smallest bore thats watercooled. my bad.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

so in my sleep fueled excursions i seemed to have entirely forgotten that scooters arent the same as small block hemi's. where i HAVE to get my motor bored on my truck, all i need on a scooter is a spacer.

ive decided on a 63mm water cooled jug with a forged piston.
that brings me to a new question, will a 2v cam work with the 4v head? i see no difference in the rocker that would make it unsupported.

if its supported, whats the most radical cam for the gy6(highest RPM power)? t-ONE or a14? or is there something else?
looking for 12-16k rpm peak power....titanium valves,springs& retainers....i'll probably end up spending 4-5000$ on the motor&CVT alone.
when i say i want to build a radical gy6 im meaning 45+HP....at the wheel!

and i know it can be done. the real question is how long will it last? not long enough.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

I wish I had an answer for you but I have a question instead. Why not build a 232 with 4 valve head? Then you could possibly run a slightly bigger turbo? Move more air on both ends. Just a thought. And can the gy6 handle that kind of rpm? Can it handle those boost pressures without pulling the studs out of the case or blowing gaskets?
Old 05-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Just an opinion on the turbo. A big advantage of turbocharging is that you can make more power without big displacement, big valves and big camshafts.
-To keep costs reasonable, I would take either the turbo route or the big displacement route, unless you enjoy the challenge of making all that stuff work together.
-I look forward to following your build.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 05-26-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelin
Old 05-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

You always hear people say theres no replacement for displacement. Sometimes I disagree. I love Zuma 50cc 2 strokes. BBK them and see how fast I can make them go. My old boss had a turbo on a 60's era Vespa scooter. He was one of the first to do it. VERY fast and VERY problematic in the beginning. He's an engineer for a living and eventually go it dialed in. One of our semi-local motorcycle dealerships has a mechanic that has a turbo gy6. Its quick also. No one on youtube has covered this already? I've never had the urge to go the turbo route, because Im afraid of blowing my motor apart, so I'm no help on the tech side. I just gave away a 02 Honda SilverWing. That motor would have rocked in a small, light frame! Plus, you can mod the insanity out of SilverWing motors because they use them in racing snowmobiles.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #7

i found a 10.5mm stroker kit and am now considering also a 67mm BBK with a 4v head and forged piston.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:27 AM   #8

I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. I understand, I was young once, but geeze, it's a GY6 not a Chrysler Hemi. There are practical limits to every thing.