Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 04-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Exclamation Question?

Does anyone know of a scooter with a lot of power? I had a new 250 & it just didn't have the power that I'm used to! I traded it in on a 2006 1200 Sportster with a DMC Trike Kit. My wife is Bitching that I'm 75 now & have a bad leg & should sell my bike! I figure that a powerful scooter might solve the problem. I just rebuilt my carb & redid my clutches so I hate to sell my bike but I also don't want to throw away a 53 year marriage but I.ve been riding for 60yrs. (15-75) Old habits are hard to break! Irish

P.S I'm used to riding "Choppers" & drag racing motorcycles & it should be a three wheeler! I know-Act my age , but age is just a number!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Irish; 04-13-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

The Bergman is available in 400cc and 750 cc
It's definitely highway capable and comfy for riding two up.

BMW has a 600 with a more sporty vibe.
I'd be surprised if you found those scooters anemic .
Old 04-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #3

You might want to check out the big Victory cruisers with the automatic transmissions.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:27 PM   #4

i agree with the automatic, might beable to persuade *more because there easier to ride (which means safer i guess)

make sure u get something with decent leg space though also
Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Thanks & I hate to sound picky but it will be a cold day in Hell when I own an automatic motorcycle. That's just me! Irish

Last edited by Irish; 04-15-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Removal
Old 04-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

You're entitled to your preferences of course and far be it from me to judge, but let me pass on a short story.
I have a buddy who was riding his motorcycle late one night and was struck by a drink driver. He lost his right leg in the accident. When he recovered, he had a trike built to allow him to continue to enjoy the thing he loved so much.

Do what you do to stay in the road as long as you can.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

Doesn't the wife ride with you on the trike?....or have you scared the dickens out of her, driving like a teenager.
I find it hard to get away on my Ural sidecar rig, without the wife and dog wanting to go. They enjoy it every bit as much as I do. Of course, it isn't fast or powerful by any means, and you can hardly hear the exhaust, over the clattering created by the Russian Mill.....but we've had some very memorable, 40 to 50 mile, summer evening, ice cream runs, on it. Still have, and ride, two 1200cc BMW's, plus the China scoot, but we're both in our early 70's, and realize our two wheeler days are numbered. Ya start on a three wheeler as a toddler, and wind up on one as a geezer. Life is a vicious circle...kinda funny.

No need to end a marriage over this. Maybe the wife could find an activity that better suits her, while you are riding. (Sewing club, Bridge, or other card game groups, Volunteer work at senior center or hospital)

After 53 years together, your wife has to know that bikes are in your blood.....that's not going to change no matter how old you are. Work it out.

(Biking since 1965.....Married to same girl since 1966)

Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

If you notice in a previous thread that my wife will not ride in FLA because of all the crazy cage drivers! I will not ask someone to do some thing that scares them. While I respect your opinion , I find it hard that you think that I would drive crazy with someone behind me! Irish
Old 04-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

Suzuki Burgman 650: No longer made, but it was definitely the quickest scooter made in North America. Complex, electronic drivetrain though.

Honda Silver Wing 650. These were made until 2013 or so. They cost $10k new, but now really nice clean ones go for $3k or less. I had two of these; they're GREAT scooters. Off the line, they're not super quick, because the centrifugal clutch slips until 15 mph. After that, they're quite quite. (though it wouldn't keep up with a 1200 Sporty) They're not 100% step-through, as there's a tunnel that's needed for the gas tank and for fore/aft frame stiffness. These bikes are heavy, but the center of gravity is low, so you don't feel it while riding. Surprisingly easy to turn at parking lot speeds, due to the relatively small wheels. These will go over 100 mph, and they're a twin cylinder, 582cc liquid-cooled. Spark plugs, oil filter, air cleaner and drive belt are easy to get to. Valve check would
be a bitch, though. This would be my recommendation.

Burgman 400. I had one of these in about 2007 or so. Also a great bike. 400 thumper, so it's running out of steam after 70 mph. (though it would probably go 90)

One that really surprised me was the Piaggio BV350. It's quicker off the line than the Silver Wing, and quicker up to maybe 60 mph or so. Very stable, but not as easy to maneuver at parking lot speeds as the Silver Wing. (due to its big wheels)

Let us know what you go with.