Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 02-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Zuma to 460cc piaggio engine swap.

I've been working on this project for about a year now, I have a 460cc piaggio, single cylinder, 4 valve single cam, four stroke scooter style engine. This is going onto a Zuma frame, and I've done mock fits and measurements, and it will fit well.

Right now the project is stalled right now due to limited funds. The engine was designed for fuel injection, but given my limited knowledge on that, I decided to go the carburetor route. I had a 40 mm lectron, that was perfect for the project, but I regrettably had to sell it at a large loss. Now I'm searching for another carburetor, more affordable, to get the engine up and running temporarily.

The ignition is a hall sensor based programmable ignition, made for 2 strokes, but it will work in a lost spark cylce. It's battery powered, and has good spark intensity. I plan to use the existing stator to charge the battery, but because I could not find the stock electrical system ( it's an overly integrated mess, with loads of security features, worse than a car) the stock magneto is not being used, I'm just leaving it be.

To mount the engine, I need to get some frame welding done, with lots of reinforcing. I might mount it as a hardtail, because the frame is so light compared to the engine ( <200 pound frame.with a >120 pound engine. If I decide to add rear suspension, I have the stock rear shocks. The original mount is odd, 3 mounting points, I can't really figure it out, even after looking at the manual.

I know it can be done well, as I got the idea from another guy on zumaforums, who put a 400cc Bergman, onto the same frame I'm using ( Zuma 50) I'm sure the frame is strong enough, this isn't going on the highway anyway ( although it certainly could).

So, I have all the parts needed ( minus the carburetor ) and the challenge will be programming the ignition curve, and finding a suitable carburetor ( the lectron would have been great, I regret selling it) I can't weld the frame myself because it's chromoly steel, and probably needs to be tig welded. At this point it's a matter of getting the funds ( I'm deep in the hole with the budget here &#128517 and getting these parts together.

I'll get some pictures of the engine and frame, this bike is gonna look a little odd, full size wheels on a 50cc frame.
Sorry for the wall of text lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #2

Insanity! What part of Carolina? I go down to Grandy for pinball. I just recycled a bug-eye Zuma. Had extra forks, wire loom and panels. Bunch of stuff. Sorry you missed the extra parts. My pre-bug is still in pieces in the garage. Doing a much slower 50cc racing swap because I'm to lazy to split the cases.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #3

Got to thinking about it and you must have the motor off of a X9. My wife and I almost bought a used X9 awhile back but it was missing the master key and all associated paperwork so we walked. Yes, you will be fighting the security system. Is it part of the ECU? If the guy gives up on the Honda Silver Wing I can see if he wants to pay it forward. No wacky security or ABS on the model I gave him, and he has the paper service manual. I should see him soon because I'm helping him get a Genuine Buddy 150 motor up and running.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #4

Good luck with your build! The stock Zuma crank is tougher than people give it credit for, I'm only familiar with the bugeye and horizontal engine though. I blew the motor on my 70cc setup, which is why I decided for a new engine. I ran the stock crank on a high tuned homeade pipe, it peaked at about 10,500 rpm, but i tried to keep it below that. The failure was in my cylinder, I added 2 auxillary exauhst ports on an Athena cylinder, the total exhaust port was close to 100% bore width. One of the bridges between the main exh port and the aux port failed, and turned the piston and cylinder into scrap. I did split the cases to install new crank bearings, but that was probably unnessecary, and it was a major pain. I had the case halves on the grill and the crank in the freezer. I think a lower tuned 50cc or 70cc tune is great, very reliable and still very fun.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #5

I left the scene for a long time, then the pre-bug found me and I enjoy it enough to keep it and do something fun with it. My friend it prepping his Ruckus with a bug-eye 2 stroke motor for summer. I like riding with him but his scoot is fast! Anyways, no interest in the Silver Wing if the guy throws in the towel? I was gonna visit him (lives around the corner from my work) but we've both been busy. Might hit him up this weekend. Oh, what part on NC?

Old 02-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

Your scoot will definitely be the V8 Vega of the scoot dogs. Awesome.