Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 09-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

50cc Scooters at Work

This past week I spent five days in Myrtle Beach, SC. One of the big businesses there is scooter rentals to the Tourists. I was there after the Busy Season ended but the scooter rentals are still going on. I spoke to one of the owners of a Rental business and he said, "If you buy a Honda all you're paying for is the name. These things take a licking and keep on ticking."

Of course all they rent is 50cc scooters there and it's been established that the 50cc GY6 is a rugged unit. It was good to hear a reinforcing statement on it.

2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2016, 11:10 PM   #2

Cool. I'd rent one of those Ruckus clones.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Years ago , when I was in the service , I was in Bermuda , on a search mission to look for two planes that had crashed? (Bermuda Triangle?) Anyway I rented a Moped to explore the island. ( I was a mechanic on the search plane.) I went thru three before I got one without the front end going crouked(sp?) Renters abuse them badly! Obviously most don't even know how to ride or forget to ride on the left side of the road as I did at first! Irish

Old 01-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

What was the specific brand name(s) the man was talking about when he said his 50cc scooters were so durable ?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgunner View Post
What was the specific brand name(s) the man was talking about when he said his 50cc scooters were so durable ?
I didn't ask. If I had to guess they were Tao Tao. Most looked like this.

http://www.gsmotorworks.com/detail.cfm?id=842
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

I usually get about a year of daily riding out of a GY6 50 (QMB139).
By that time they are totally worn out except for the gear box. The big BUT is the parts are cheap, and I can rebuild the entire engine in about three hours.

That's based on about 1,500 miles of 300 ish days a year. Three hours is based on roll in to ride out.
I should add that I don't stop riding because of strange noises or oil depletion. If it seizes I wait for it to cool, and add a few ounces. If the rollers are down to the cores... I got my 9 bucks worth out of them.

My current ride is torn down waiting on a trany seal kit, crankshaft, 50mm cylinder kit, variator kit, and starter motor.
That's the result of my daily "Who gives a crap" regime. BUT (again) I have about 13-14 months on that, and the total bill for parts is under 120.00 bucks.

Just my 2 cents on QMB139's
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #7

I heard from another source that these rental places keep the scooters one season and then sell them off. Given the use they probably get it's safe to say they're pretty used up. Still, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on one for the right price. The 50cc engine seems fairly solid in most normal usage.
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 01-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #8

200-300.00 is the most I would ever pay for a used scooter.
That includes the Burgman/Maxi scoots.

I always expect to replace every part on the engine (aside from cases, and gears). Then all the normal wear parts like control cables, fluids, tires, brakes, ect.

All in all IMHO, you can replace everything, and still have a bike that is worth every penny that you invested.
Try saying that for a used car or boat!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #9

I am a newbie to scooters.. The ones the rental operator uses are obviously Chinese scoots. So where does the bad rap come from? Are the engines,& drive train equal to the better ones and the problems come with the assembly, hoses and light duty seats?
I have my first scoot which I bought last fall, It is a 2009 Kymco people 150.
I am pleased with the quality so far, but now I understand Kymco is getting some of their models from the mainland..
I could be wrong, but I believe the Agility, Super 8 and Like models are from the mainland. If so, do they suffer as far as quality is concerned ?

BTW: Those Ruckus knockoffs in both 2 & 3 wheel models are enticing, especially in the 150cc versions.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 AM   #10

Kymco has their own house in China. They still control all aspects of the manufacture/assembly, and warranty on their machines.
IMHO Kymco is the best bargain/value you can get on two wheels.

The bad rap comes from the knock off's you can buy on line or from "Pep Boys" for $600.00 or so.
Reason is they are mainly purchased generic (many suppliers) and assembled under many varying names.

Where a brand like Kymco spends the few minutes (per unit) to inspect, de-bur, and assemble parts these others just assemble.
The generics are obviously lower grade materials as well. The cables are thinner gauge, controls are generally ABS plastic vs aluminium. Bodies are thinner/flimsier, ect.

In the end tho you can take a POS China generic, and rebuild it into a reliable machine for not a lot of cost. I've been in Fl for about 15 years now, and have bought/sold around 40 POS scooters. I do regular maintenance for many of them, and they do last if you just take that few minutes to correct all the flaws.

By the way, I agree on the Ruks. They are a cool concept. I can see where a tank gunner would really like them.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

Thanks, DP..that tells me that if a person were to go to a Chinese scooter, they might be better off getting a late model used one that has been well cared for and has the bugs worked out.
The Rucks appeal to me for their pure utilitarian character. I might set a scoot up for hunting..groundhogs, squirrel etc, so their off road possibilities appeal as well as the idea that I might be able to slip a small rifle case under the seat, projecting out toward the front.
That way I could travel to the woods and fields as well as travel in them.

Last edited by Oldgunner; 01-12-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #12

Like this?

Google Hunting Ruckus or Survival Ruckus, and you'll find all sorts of cool setups. There are several with easy trailer setups. Perfect for hauling back game.

I'm a dear hunter myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funny_cannon_scooter_m1001.jpg (49.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #13

Now that scooter with a 105 recoilless rifle mopunted, is a bit more that I was looking for..LOL Nevertheless, I will check out some of the rucks you suggested..thanks..
Old 01-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #14

LOL I thought it was a 104...

Here's another thought for you. I bought a POS Verucci 50cc about 5 years ago, and I stripped it down to the bone. I call it my Vruk.
Point is you can buy any old scoot, and build a Ruk for about 1/3rd the cost, and anything goes. The seat is left overs from the OEM seat, and plywood for the seat "frame".
The headlights are cheap china ebay (3.00 shipped), and on the side of the seat you'll see a toggle switch, and momentary button for the ignition, and starter.

I bought that bike for 75 bucks (not running), and I have another 120.00 invested. I ride that bike about 1500 miles a year, and have more invested in the paint (Awl-Grip) than I do in the build. It's 4 years old to me.
Started as a 2009 Verucci.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140415_003.jpg (102.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 140415_001.jpg (53.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #15

Here's an add on to my statements of who gives a crap maintenance...

It cost 112.00 total for a new 50mm (BBK) cylinder kit, an A9 cam, new generic crankshaft, DLH variator kit with rollers, and clutch fly springs, the complete gasket kit w/ new oil pump, and gear, and a new 5 piece seal kit for the crank, and gear box.

Two hours into it I open the gear box to replace the seals, and I find the primary input shaft bearing is in pieces. Next I find the small secondary gear is missing 4-5 teeth.
So logic tells me it had nothing to do with my lack of maintenance.

It was because I posted that they are bullet proof, and I didn't knock on wood before, during, and after saying that.
Both of my tires are still good tho... I knocked!!!