Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 06-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Question?

Does anyone know of a place where I can checkout how accurate my speedometer is in the W.Melbourne Florida area? I have a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/ Trike Kit. The trike kit was already on it when I bought it. I don't know if it still has the Sportster gear or if it was changed. I don't want to be riding with a cop behind me & think that my speed is fine & get stopped for speeding because my speedometer is wrong. If I get stopped they wil get me for alot of other things (pipes , etc ) I bought the bike at Space Coast Harley but they are NO help! They probably don't know anymore then I do! Irish

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Don't know of a specific company to test them, but I use a GPS in my tuning and it is very accurate. The only problem I have is a few milliseconds latency.

I checked it against a few roadside signals that uses radar that flashes speed and they were both identical.

If you don't have a GPS, but do have an Android phone, there is an application called "Ulysses" (free download) that some have tested against a GPS for accuracy and their findings were acceptable.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Or you can just go find a nice flat stretch of interstate highway, set your speed at 60 mph, when you pass a mile marker look at the second hand on your watch, when you get to the next mile marker, your second hand should be in the exact same spot. You may want to check 3 or 4 consecutive miles, for a more accurate test. 60 mph = 60 second miles

If you divide 3600 (which is the number of seconds in an hour), by how many seconds it takes you to cover a mile, you get your actual speed in mph. Example: it takes you 63 sec to go 1 mile.....3600 divided by 63 = 57.14 mph. Or a 56 second mile...3600 divided by 56 = 64.28 mph.

This is how this old trucker used to do it before I retired.....but back then we didn't have gps, or smart phones

Old 06-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #4

Borrow a GPS, charge it up, mount it on your dash so it wont fall off, and go for a ride on some lonely stretches of road.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

I find mine varies, the faster, the more "generous" it tends to be. At 25mph and below, it's pretty much right on. At 35mph it's about 5mph off and at 64mph it's off by about 6/7mph.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

Much as I hate to , I'll probably stop by the Police Station & ask if the State has a place to check them. In NH , the Cops always brought me into the Station! Maybe in Fla I'll start a new trend & go there willingly. It would be nice to go of my own free will & not get fingerprinted. Irish
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #7

Overheard conversation between two Homeland Security Agents: "He's being cooperative."
"Yeah, Too cooperative..!, Let's beat him his rights!!!"
Old 07-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Does anyone know of a place where I can checkout how accurate my speedometer is in the W.Melbourne Florida area? I have a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/ Trike Kit. The trike kit was already on it when I bought it. I don't know if it still has the Sportster gear or if it was changed. I don't want to be riding with a cop behind me & think that my speed is fine & get stopped for speeding because my speedometer is wrong. If I get stopped they wil get me for alot of other things (pipes , etc ) I bought the bike at Space Coast Harley but they are NO help! They probably don't know anymore then I do! Irish
I checked mine against a GPS unit, found out my speedo read 5Mph faster than I'm really going.
Well at least I'll never get a speeding ticket.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

I thought about gluing the magnet from a bike speedometer onto a wheel and and the sensor close enough to pick up the signal off the magnet, with those you program in the circumference of the tire. I never got around to it though. I just ride with traffic. It's on the mental list of things I ought to do. I did put a piece of yellow tape on the speedometer at 35 mph... that's about as fast as I usually need to go around here.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #10

One way, if your ok talking to law enforcement is if you see an officer doing speed checks, stop by and ask him to clock you. Go past him with your speedo reading what the limit is, then come back and see what his gun said. Mike