Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

Fuel questions

I am curious about the best type of fuel. I know that small engines tend to run much better on nob-ethanol fuel, and I am wondering if the same can be said for scooters? If so, what is the performance differences, and is it worth the hassle of seeking out good quality suppliers?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

All I know is I buy 100% gasoline for the scooters and lawnmowers I have. And the pickup since I rarely have to fill it up. I've fixed more than a few lawnmowers with problems of water absorption and settling out in the bottom of the gas tank. So with ethanol you have water problems develop and it may or may not deteriorate plastic and rubber seals and gaskets in the fuel systems.
Further reading ... http://www.hho4free.com/gasoline_vs_ethanol.html
Old 08-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

I use high octane flue and octane booster

Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #4

I use cheapo gas in the Burgman 200 and we set the squish kinda loose on our 2 stroke performance builds so we can run cheap gas there as well. 87 octane is fine.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #5

According to my Gy6 scooter manual, you're supposed to use 91 octane or higher. I haven't actually noticed a difference with lower octane like 87 though. The funny thing about scooter manuals is they constantly contradict themselves. My 125cc GY6 "requires" 91 octane, but the compression ratio is 9.5 to 1, which means 85 is ok too.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

When in NH , a friend worked part-time for the State maintenance crews. Every night , at quitting time they would drain all of the machines used that day! I don't know what the octane was! Irish
Old 03-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

Totally agree with Roscoe, Ethanol Free, is all I use in the bikes, atv, mower, chainsaw, weed whacker, tiller and even the wife's car. I won't buy it from a station that has 3 grades of gas coming from one hose either. Only use retailers that have a dedicated, ethanol free, hose/pump.

My little Chinese Cheapy will be 6 years old in 12 days, and I've had zero fuel system problems, never even cleaned the carb. Starts, idles, and runs like new.

It does cost more, but for a scooter, not that much more. Last year/season, I traveled 1975 miles on the scoot. It burned 23.9 gallons of gas. I paid $.60 more per gallon for the ethanol free variety, so it cost me $14.34 extra, for the whole season. A little less than 3/4 of one penny per mile. I think I can live with that.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #8

Ethanol will sink some floats, mostly older scooters, like my 2005. The float was sunk when I bought it couple years ago. I replaced it and burn only ethanol free.