Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Starter won't crank when rear brake held, will start with front brake

Hey all - this is my first post, I have a 50cc icebear trike, and so far it's been great. One issue has come up that I haven't been able to figure is this:

When I hold the rear brake, the starter won't crank/no noise at all. However, when I hold the front brake, it cranks and starts up fine. Also, when I press the rear brake, the brake light does turn on. So, I've played around with what I think all the wires, and I'm just at a loss at what the issue could be.

Would anyone know what this type of issue could be? Wire diagrams get super confusing, but I've double checked all the connections I can see at least.

Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

I'd be tracking the wires and connections down. Something isn't telling the starter relay to activate. I doubt it's the switch if the brake light works. A simple test light or multi meter ought to be able to find where the problem is. Here's some youtubes on how to change and test the switch and it should show enough to know where to test the connections. Back probe the connections if you can. ... https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+scooter+brake
Old 08-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

You said the light doesn't come on with the rear lever; do you hear it clicking by the lever. Compare to the front brake, you should hear a little click when the lever is pulled. That might indicate a faulty switch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Replace the rear brake switch. Maybe there's a secondary circuit in there to power the solenoid.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.