Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 08-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

Leaking oil... please help

Hello all,

I noticed a few drops of oil under my Roketa 150cc scooter and was hoping one of you guys could give me some advice. I looked underneath and it appears the oil is coming out of the seam between the two crank case halves. (See attached photo.) What are the odds there is some cheap and easy fix for this? And if I need to take it to a mechanic, what kind of cost am I looking at? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cindy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0715.jpg (90.2 KB, 11 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #2

Did you completely clean the bottom of the engine and verify that's the exact location of the leak? Use carb or brake cleaner and a rag scrub it and if it is that spot your gasket is going out. If you take it to a normal bike shop not a scooter shop they won't charge as much. You can buy the gaskets yourself online to save some money (I'd buy a complete gasket kit) and they'll charge you$200 or so for labor to just replace the gasket.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

Oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalFlavored View Post
Did you completely clean the bottom of the engine and verify that's the exact location of the leak? Use carb or brake cleaner and a rag scrub it and if it is that spot your gasket is going out. If you take it to a normal bike shop not a scooter shop they won't charge as much. You can buy the gaskets yourself online to save some money (I'd buy a complete gasket kit) and they'll charge you$200 or so for labor to just replace the gasket.
Yes, I did completely clean the bottom of the engine first. Thank you for the info!

Old 08-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #4

a piece of cardboard under it after several rides to see if it is getting worse fast would be a good idea. I've read on here where the engine halves can separate. If that happens, you definitely should get it fixed before riding it again.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #5

J.B. Weld to fix an oil leak?

Okay, I originally thought the oil was leaking out of the entire back and bottom seam of the crankcase halves, but it turns out that the bottom is fine. It's seeping out of an approximately 2-inch area higher up in the back, and is slowly dripping to coat the entire bottom seam (I added an arrow to my original photo that points to the leaking area so that hopefully this makes sense). In this area, it almost looks like the halves aren't lined up right - like one side is protruding just a tiny bit outward than the other so that they are not flushed even. It took 2 years for it to start leaking, so maybe the gasket in that area finally got worn? I was thinking, instead of having to have the entire engine pulled to fix this issue, could I maybe use some of that JB Weld putty - like the SteelStick - to seal up the area where it's leaking? Or maybe plug it with some Permatex gasket maker or FlexSeal? Or a type of duct tape that could withstand high temperatures might be perfect. Any thoughts on this? It's not a bad leak. I've been leaving a drip pan under the scoot and there are only a few drops each day - whether I ride it or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crankcase.jpg (85.3 KB, 5 views)

Old 08-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

Another thought, not yet mentioned ... perhaps check the bolts that secure the engine halves. If one was not torqued properly, it could allow a leak. Don't over-tighten, but verifying they are might be a simple, first step.