Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Question 50cc Very Hard to start

Hello all, so my scoot is having a very hard time starting. Electric is of no use even though I just want it to electric start first couple tries. I have to kick it well over 30-40 times and well past that to get it going. Once it gets started it runs great and idles perfectly no issues until I shut it down and doesn't want to start again. I have the carb adjusted nicely. I put in new rollers, new belt, new plug, new orange ignition coil, and a oil change. I adjusted the valves 4 in 5 out. I sprayed water around intake and carb area to check for any leaks when I got it running no leaks. Battery is strong and starter turns. Did a solenoid jump was fine but no start. When I kick there is regularamount resistance showing there is compression. All my plugs have looked perfect not lean or rich.

There is a decent amount of blow by in the airbox but oil isn't overfilled and sometimes a little bit of faint smoke coming out of the snorkel from time to time. Is this just the piston or rings fried or something else? What else should I check or some other signs of piston problems?

Thanks guys any help appreciated. 2300 Miles on 2009 scoot got it with 300 on it last year, second owner. A fair amount of WOT time if that helps. Would ride 40 mins to a hour on 15mile trips toward beginning of owning now just a couple miles to work and back

Pete/Thundergun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3Fe3Le3N45E45K65R4cbi047adafecc92170b.jpg (60.7 KB, 1 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Re-check valve clearances, make sure spark plug is not loose, do compression check with a compression tester.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to techie610
Welcome to the Forums.

I keep valves at .003 intake and .004 exhaust.
I would check the timing, as well.
Also, may be a funny Q, but have you checked to make sure your getting enough gas?
Try starting it with Starting Fluid?
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

2003 Vento Zip R3i TurboCam
50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Check out the new group for the Mountain Area!
http://www.scootdawg.net/group.php?groupid=4

Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

Hey guys thanks for your response. So I think the problem was the old ignition coil and the boot was really beat up and the valves were way too tight. Got the carb dialed in on the money and the plug looked perfect. When I finally got it to the best I could get it (a whole lot of kicks but would start) and started putting everything back together on the body. IT NOW STARTS FIRST TRY ELECTRIC EVERY TIME! Which makes me think maybe it was electrical or having the brake light connected again? I'm so glad it starts like new now. It is running better than ever and is fastest its ever been. Acceleration in the dead zones 20-25 is faster and is hitting a new top speed well past 35 with a few lighter rollers in the vari. I'm beyond ecstatic and relieved. Can't wait to put a bbk on!

I couldn't have gotten my bike to where it is without all the info on the scootdawg forums. Thanks everyone and thank you for the forum!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

That's great so many people only seem to come on here and complain their Chinese scooter is such a POS and when given the proper advice to fix it they just get madder and madder without ever attempting to fix the problem.

I'm sure since you can get it running you'll like how it runs when you really start tuning it up. But just a fair warning putting lots of upgrades dramatically shortens the engine's overall life.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to techie610
Good to hear its running well again.
Electrical problems are about the worst to deal with
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

2003 Vento Zip R3i TurboCam
50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Check out the new group for the Mountain Area!
http://www.scootdawg.net/group.php?groupid=4