Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #16

i was hoping for someway to thumbs up someone else's post, that way if you like their answer, you can show that as well as let site visitors understand that a post is worthwhile as good info.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #17

Hi

Lol, sorry Bull, I meant Dwint51 about the manual choke which he posted here:http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=54822
(Found out you have to reply "advanced" to get the smiles!!

Yes, flourescent bulbs or heat lamp I reckon. But yesterday I called AutoCoolingSolutions and spoke to a mechanic there for quite a while about fires from using an oil pan heater or their other warming products and they haven't had any. He did say it could catch fire but was unlikely and I could use a circuit breaker strip for extra precaution. He suggested to get the oil pan warmer first before worrying about the battery. I elected to leave my oil wt as is and not change it. Apparently the products also have a sort of power protection too. So I bought their 25w model to try out: http://www.autocoolingsolutions.com/...0v-25-Watt-NEW. Stay tuned!!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #18

are you planning on monitoring its power consumption? if so keep us posted as others may install one

my scoot already sometimes rubs on the center stand when I go over the curb (10" tires), would be concerned about damage. but if you have a drive w/o curb that would not be a concern

Old 02-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #19

Oops, didn't think about that!! I do go over curbs. Maybe if I carry a ramp with me I could set it up and jump over the curbs, Scootkneivel,LOL!!
Actually, I'll check out the clearance, may have to stop the order if it hasn't gone out, or return it. Just checked the site description and the pad is 1", so might work???? Thanks ahead for the suggestion!! I'll try to figure out the power consumption, thanks for the suggestions!! Cheers!!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #20

I'm trying to think of a situation where I would have to drive over a curb.....damned if I can. Where do you guys ride? Scooters are supposed to be driven on the streets.....are you driving down the sidewalks? I don't get it.

I wouldn't be worried about a fire, just plug it into a 3 prong extension cord. It is only 25 watts....it will take 40 hours of running to burn 1 kilowatt hour. That's about 13 cents worth of electricity, up here in NY State....probably cheaper where you are.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 AM   #21

In my townhome community, parking area is out front away from the house, but I park on my sidewalk closer to the front door. To get there requires going over the curb. Going up the scooter drags the center stand w/o me on it and lifting and pushing.

I park on the sidewalk as a theft prevention measure.

If you ever want to ride in the cooler months try a Tyvek jump suit to keep you warm. It works great and still allows freedom of movement, just get one from a decent supplier. Too diehard of a rider to give up a few months of inactivity, been riding in cold weather since first started riding.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #22

I found this pan heater yesterday....I don't need one for my scoot, but one a few sizes bigger than the one I linked would be nice on my diesel tractor. If the weather we've had the last 2 winters is going to be the new norm, I could sure use one. (high temperature today -2*)

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-24025-Wat...27s+heater+pad

Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #23

Thumbs Up

Bull for President!!!! He knows his stuff. Listen to him!!!

Bull warned of the dangers of using engine /battery and oil pan warmers as fire hazards, as well as using a light bulb etc. to warm an engine. Two days ago I got 25 watt oil pan heater from AutoCoolingSolutions.com. Put it on my oil pan and used it for 30 min, gets extremely hot to touch, and scooter did start better, but not great. Yesterday I put it on for 1 hr and found that it didn't heat, it was stone cold. So I tried slightly moving the cord and bam, short and sparks, loud noise!!! No harm except scaring the daylights out of me!!
oil warmer.jpg
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #24

I just go with a larger pilot jet, most of the winter it fine. When 20 or below I put a coffee cup over the pod filter partly.

John