Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

150cc Timing Chain Crankshaft Sprocket

Hi Gang! I see very little on this subject. Mostly I see action and removal guides for the OTHER side of the engine (the right side) with the starter clutch and oil pump. On the left side where the timing chain resides; WHICH sprocket on the crankshaft is the PROPER one that drives the Timing chain? A poster on another forum had mentioned the INNER one; that is the one closest to the counterweight on the crank. There is no info on this in the online manuals either. Word I get is, one sprocket is for the Timing Chain, and the other is an oil slinger.
Can anyone clear this up? I ask because my engine appears to be having timing issues again.
A sale on ebay shows this. It is new to me as I have not pulled the crank out of a GY6 engine yet.

https://tinyurl.com/y9uuldo4

It appears on my engine that one of these sprockets may be larger than the other. The inside one appears to have "cogged" teeth on it while the outside one has more defined and sharper teeth and looks smaller.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by GrouchyOle'Man; 04-04-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Clarification