Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

New scooter, lots of problems

I just bought a Baja sc50 scooter for 50 bux. Upon initial inspection, the throttle on the carb is locked, the kick start won't budge and the starter just clicks (even with a car battery). This doesn't mean the engine is frozen up does it? There is oil in the case. Where should I start?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #2

I would pull the head and see what the piston looks like in that case.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

Crap so many body panels to remove lol

Old 07-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

Or put a wrench on the flywheel and see if you can turn it over that way. The throttle is a completely different issue. It must be bound up somewhere.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #5

just take off the cvt cover and move your fly wheel,take out your plug

Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

So, extremely worried now... I pulled off the carb and the tube going down into the cylinder is full of a white chunky powder... The carb is full of powder as well... What.... the hell. What do I do at this point? Is this even repairable?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Upon further investigation the carb has that white powdery crap in it, the cylinder head is filled with it but the piston and piston sleeve are clean. Yet again I screwed up, i lubed the cylinder and it rotated freely than stopped... I think I bound up the loos e chain on the crankshaft sprocket... I can't pull the cylinder head off because a frame bar is in the way so I think I have to pull the engine, no idea where to start with that ether.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #8

WTH is that? It looks like ash. Looks like someone did something to deliberately destroy the engine. But you only paid $50 so I still don't think it would be a terrible deal as long as everything else checks out. I think I'd buy a new engine.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #9

You don't think it's worth trying to thoroughly clean the carb and the cylinder head?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #10

The white powder is a a combination of evaporated gas/gas resins and salt. That's what these carbs look like if they sit for a few years without draining the gas out of them.

I'd pull the carb down and clean it out good, the powder (mostly zinc, salt and magnesium) will rinse off easy with carb spray. Though if you wanna get it super nice and clean, soak all the non-rubber parts in a clean bowl of de-natured alcohol for a couple days.

While it's probably not the best, the powder shouldn't screw up the engine. Though I would immediately change the oil.

Do a compression test (use a TESTER, not your finger). If compression is good, you're probably fine once you get the carb cleaned up.

Also remove the FUEL TANK and FUEL LINES, and REPLACE the lines and clean the tank with fresh gas and carb spray, make sure you clean out the PETCOCK also.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #11

Wow, great information! Thank you very much,!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #12

While that is a good thing I would still pull the head, If that gunk in in the cylinder and you get it cranking you can do some real damage ranging from a bend rod to bent valves. Plus it would be so much easier to make sure you cleaned the head fully.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #13

I just bought a bbk that comes with a new head and jets. Figure best to just replace it for the price. Now I know the 100cc is actually 82cc, what size jet should I have? (purchased a new carb too). Also I may have overlapped the chain on the crankshaft, any ideas for fixes?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #14

Okay so heres a picture of my chain wrapped around my crankshaft...

I've tried everything I can think of to get it off... I tried backing out the flywheel until the bolt just came off. Tried putting bolts in the flywheel and levering off those... I've tried hammering the old piston to back it out, I even tried moving the flywheel forward to just run through the stuck chain... I have no idea what to do at this point... Really really need help.