Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

Newbie with a leaky Roketa 150

Leak problem in last paragraph!

Just bought a 2008 Roketa mc 75 150 with 72 miles on it (for $540 clams). I talked them down from $700 because it ran, but wouldn't go (bogged out at throttle). Its obviously been sitting (bought it for the wife and she got scared -- so it sat). PO replaced the muffler, CDI, and carb last Spring to get it running from sitting but when I started it up, I couldn't get it out of the driveway. idled just fine, though.

Followed a few of the basic recs around here (new gas, new gas lines, manual petcock and filter, also removed the tank evapo canister, etc.) but couldn't get it above 4000 rpms. Had a lean problem at the intake manifold (used the carb cleaner trick), fixed that, and then had a rich bogging problem!

So even though the guy said he cleaned the carb in June, I removed it and it was filled with gelatinous goo! Cleaned it out and vroom! Took it down the road and I'm happy to report about 56 mph on the flat (assuming the speedo is correct).

My minor question... With the evapo elimination, I've seen the trick about adding line and a backwards gas filter to contain the spills and let the tank breath -- but I'd like to understand how that works. I have a small paper filter and I can pull air through it both ways. Is that normal? I thought the idea was by turning the thing backwards fuel couldn't get out?

ANYWAY... My real question. I have a leaky gas tank at the fuel sensor. That is, there is a electronic sensor/float on the top of the tank (not a pump, of course) and when the tank is full and it sloshes around, gas spills out of top of the tank. Anybody have this problem? Is there a gasket I can buy/fabricate? Seems bizarre that that wouldn't be air tight.

Pictures to follow! As you can imagine, it's in pristine shape!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Might have found an answer already -- previous forum had recommendations about readjusting the current set up and/or recutting some cork or gasket material to make a better seal. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

Tried to reposition the gasket, but it's not a very tight seal either way. The gasket just seems to be like a big o-ring. The design seems kinda dumb.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #4

I never use a new gasket on the valve cover. Eliminate the gasket and use RTV instead. RTV will make a much better seal, but will have to be replaced and allowed to cure each time the valve cover is removed and reinstalled.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

Also it is unlikely your bike goes 56mph as it is not fully broken in and 56mph is at the extremely high end of what a gy6 can do stock. Never trust the speedos on gy6 bikes as they are wildly inaccurate. Always use a GPS to verify your speed.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #6

I Know I will get flake on this but when someone puts down another guys speed numbers WHEN his own numbers are so far out and unrealistic, but yet nobody questions his claimed speeds.

Talking about his bike not going 56mph, I would highly question yours doing 65mph with what you have on it. It is basically stock, you have nothing on it that will get those numbers. You would need taller tranny gears and more power to your motor to achieve those speeds. What you have on it will not get you 65 maybe 55mph is more like it. Everybody totes high speeds GPS VERFIED(YEA RIGHT) NOT ONE can take a Video of going down the road reading the GPS(ever wonder why). What I say is a lot of us maybe were born late but not yesterday(HAHA).

You many not like what I say but I just get tired of people toting unrealistic numbers that causes other folks with the same scoots to say HOW COME MINE only does this and that. The truth of the matter is the one toting the unrealistic numbers is not telling the truth. I don't understand why people do that, maybe it's just to try an impress the others. I know what someone can expect out of a 50, 150, 250 depending on what they changed on it.

The 157QMJ stock puts out little over 8hp the 1P little over 9hp and your better off with the 157QMJ because you can build that sucker up really good all the way from 149.6 to 232cc's. While the 1P not many motor performance parts are available.
Lefty

Three Wheels keep me up
You’ll never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy