Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Multiple issues, please help

I have a 49cc tao tao that started making a very loud knocking noise when running and driven. I read that it could be the "CVT" but Im not familiar with it so I decided to try an oil change first. Oil level was fine but a little dark so I went ahead and replaced it. All I had in my garage tho was 5w20 and like a dummy I used it thinking it would be fine for a trip to the auto parts store and back. Halfway there it started bogging down to the point it eventually quit running. At this point all it would do is crank repeatedly without turning over until the battery died. After getting it home and putting correct oil in it, it still won't turnover and starter solenoid plunger is stuck engaged with just a clicking noise. I have the crankcase cover removed exposing the solenoid. I desperately need honest advice on how to proceed. Thank you for any feedback.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #2

Since you were able to change your oil, I assume some mechanical ability.
1.. place the scooter on the center stand and look for oil leaks from underneath
2.. check the oil level
3.. remove the spark plug and rotate the engine by hand using the kick start lever or the engine variator-- does it rotate smoothly and easily?
4.. listen for noises- were any heard?
5.. if the engine rotated freely and no noises, reinstall the plug, and recheck the rotation- is it more difficult by hand now?

then post your testing results

btw.. tell us what year your scooter is and how many miles on it? Are you the first owner?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

I bought this scooter about 2 months ago, 2 owner, it's a 2011, 3469 on odm right now, oil level slightly high( not sure how exact it should be),no leaks,kick start lever & it's guts have been removed only electric was functioning. The gear on the end of the solenoid plunger is stuck engaged and is preventing me from rotating engine. I can't remove or reposition it at all. Prior to that it would just crank without actually turning over. Before I ran it on the wrong oil the only sound it made was the obnoxious knocking but started and rode regular otherwise, I read that might have been flat CVT bearings, not sure. I have attached photo of solenoid. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160512_1449530_rewind.jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)

Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

The oil should NEVER be overfull. To check oil level, see instructions above, then remove the dipstick, wipe it, reinstall only finger tight, remove and check level. I personally like the level in the middle of the cross hatch area of the stick. Reduce level as necessary.

Perform instruction #1 above.

Sometimes gently tapping, NOT hitting the starter drive (bendix) will dislodge it. Other times a gentle rocking about 10 degrees back and forth on the clutch variator retaining nut will free it.

Perform instruction #3, except use a wrench or socket and turn the clutch variator retaining nut. Counter Clockwise rotation from this side.

Perform instruction #5.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

Ok.... here are my results

Oil level adjusted to recommended level and no leaks

I used a vicegrip wrench to turn solenoid plunger making the gear retract some.... that's they only thing that worked, almost like it was stuck......

Spark plug removed and tried turning clutch variator retaining nut but no luck, it won't turn.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

based on your info, it sounds like the engine seized. If that is correct and depending on your available funds you could either replace the powertrain assembly with a used one or a new one.

in my area a good used complete unit could be bought for about $75 to $225 and that depends on whether it has a BBK on it and what size BBK.

new ones from dependable suppliers start around $350 plus shipping
Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #7

Ok, thank you very much for your time.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

New results on clutch variator

The clutch variator spins freely without spark plug, it was just a little stubborn at first.

The only sounds I hear winding sound and what I'm guessing is a piston moving inside coming from under carburetor.

It does exactly the same with spark plug in.

Hopefully this is a good thing.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Put your battery on a trickle charger and allow it to fully recharge.

Reinstall the cvt cover. Remember to lightly lubricate the starter drive bushing in the cover before installing.

Remove the spark plug, and crank the engine over using the starter-- about 30 seconds of crank time maximum. Listen for abnormal noises.

If no abnormal noises, reinstall the plug and start the engine if it will. Again allow it to warm up and listen for abnormal noises both cold and at operating temp.

Then check for noises at different rpm.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #10

Engine won't start

Cover is reattached and I got a new battery & new spark plug because the old one was black. Engine is very difficult to start. Maybe twice out of 15-20 attempts and it lasts only a couple of seconds.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #11

run a compression check

if you don't know how there are videos on youtube that explain the process