Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

Stator+Battery charging question.

So I installed a new VR on my mc54 250 b and it has raised some questions for me I would like some input on.

OK, first, with my old VR, if I unhooked the battery cable while the bike eas running the engine would sputter and nearly die.. Was a very rough low sputtering idle. With the new VR there is virtually no difference in idle if I unhook the battery cable. Is this a decent indicator that -YES- my old VR was going bad?

Next question. I have been doing a heck of a lot of quick starts and idling to test out wiring, etc. as I had this bike apart... and that ran my battery down quite a bit. I can't get my bike on it's center stand by myself, so I can only check voltage output to the battery to about 3000 rpm sitting in the garage before the bike wants to take off... Does the bike need higher RPM's to put a charge to the battery, because it does not seem to be charging at idle RPM's.

And last question... If I wanted to but a little volt gauge in the dash, what would be the best hot wire to come off of for a good reading?

Thanks!

Smoak

Login or Register to Remove Ads