Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 09-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

GY6 149cc Scooter Won't Turn Over

Hello. I adjusted the valve on my GY6 149cc scooter, and now it won't turn over. When I try, it will attempt to turn over but then it stops, like it's being stopped by something with resistance. And when I try to kickstart it, it's hard to push down due to resistance. If I take the spark plug out it the kickstart is easy with no resistance, and the electric start does better but still seems like it's having to struggle to turn over.

When adjusting the valves, I turned the camshaft to the T mark, the big hole was on top, I only had to adjust the exhaust, it was too tight, put it back together, and now this is happening. Didn't do any other work on it.

It's about a year old, with around 500 miles on it.

Would anyone have a suggestion what may be causing that? Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #2

I've seen situations where the flywheel needs two full revolves before the valve clearance can be adjusted, even though the Mark's are aligned. I know with one of mine, if I turn the flywheel just once to the mark, it doesn't move the springs. I have to turn it around again. Trying to adjust the valve in that state will cause the rocker arm to be very tight against it and it wont move. After you adjusted it, did you turn the flywheel and try wiggling the rocker arm to see if it moves freely? Assuming that it worked fine before you adjusted it and that's all you've done, I don't see many problem ideas.