Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 02-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Solution for Cold Weather Starting

A scooter will start in 23 degrees or colder if its warm. Last night I put my flimsy, cheap parachute cover on my scoot and it didn't cover it, so I put a tarp over that covering to the ground and put bricks to keep it down. But the secret to it starting was putting a handheld trouble light with a 100watt bulb on the bottom of the scoot, making sure it didn't touch the tarp or it would melt that part touching it. When I came out this morning it started right up, didn't even have to turn the throttle several times to get gas in the carb!!
For those that have to use their scoot every day this will be an answer in the morning, then perhaps take the setup with to work and plug it in there, or start it every few hours. At first I was thinking of fire, blowing up the scoot, but I have no gas leaks and the trouble light is new, cord in good condition. A heat lamp would also work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoot1.jpg (48.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg scoot2.jpg (49.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg scoot3.jpg (44.5 KB, 4 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 AM   #2

From and old ADV rider thread,http://www.autocoolingsolutions.com/...ne+Oil+Heaters
Old 02-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #3

Here is a lot simpler and cheaper solution:
1.. go to auto parts store and buy a vacuum 'T' or "Y' fitting with 3/16 inch nipples. a 12 inch piece of 3/16" fuel line and a can of starting fluid
2. remove your seat bucket
3. cut the vacuum line that runs to the auto fuel shutoff valve from the intake at about mid length at a good upward angle.
4. insert the vacuum T or Y fitting so that a more vertical nipple points upward and connect the new fuel line to that nipple
5. drill an inconspicuous hole into your seat bucket and route the new 3/16' fuel line through it
6. reinstall your seat with the hose through it.
7. insert a golf tee into the hose

When you need to start the scooter in extremely cold temps, simply raise the seat, remove the golf tee, spray some starting fluid (liquid) into the hose and wait for it to drain down. Start the scooter and then reinsert the golf tee, close the seat and wait for a couple minutes for the scooter temp to rise before riding

Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

"simpler and cheaper" for you"- different strokes for different folks. For me, spraying starting fluid and waiting would be a pain. I'd rather remove a tarp and have my scooter start right up without waiting a couple minutes for it to be temp for riding. Actually, all that needs to be done is cover the seat/rear of the scoot and put a heat lamp or metal shield trouble light($10 Home Depot) or the oil pan heater even thought its more expensive sounds like an excellent idea. You just adhere it to the oil pan and then plug in when necessary.
So I guess the question is: what needs to be warm to start the scoot?? Is it the oil or carb or what??
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Here's what Mother Earth news says:
What the Cold Does

Cold weather makes the engine hard to start for two main reasons. First, oil thickens when it's cold, which increases friction and makes it harder for the staner motor to spin the engine. Cold also slows the chemical reaction in the car's battery, reducing its power output. Battery output is usually rated at 77 degrees Fahrenheit, below which starting power drops drastically. As shown in Figure I, (See the car diagrams in the image gallery) at 5 degrees Fahrenheit a fully charged lead-acid battery has only half its rated amp-hour capacity. You can ensure that your car will start in the worst weather by keeping the engine or the battery, or both, warm. But before we discuss some of the ways - short of building a heated garage - to keep the underhood cozy, let's review basic maintenance.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...z87jfzgoe.aspx

So to answer my question, both oil and battery need to be kept warm.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

battery ratings @ 77F is CA, not CCA. that is @ 32F.

i have lots of experience starting engines @ ambient temps of -40F and the cold does take its toll for sure. I personally look at all factors incl the risk of fire and cost factor of powering an electric apparatus such as block heaters that have been used on diesels for decades.

have seen my share of vehicles with an electric plug catch fire when a house circuit breaker does not trip, so for me, my idea is simpler and cheaper since starting fluid has been used for almost a century.

fortunately i have not seen a house catch fire as most vehicles were parked far enough away so the fire did not jump to the house.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #7

thanks for pointing out the fire hazard!! I did google "fires and engine warmers" or something like that, and it appeared that most fires occurred from worn extension cords vs an actual short in the warmer itself. That being said, I'm sure a spike could cause a short in the lamp, or a short could occur in the lamp without a spike, so I see your point.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #8

Since we are on the subject, perhaps we should point out a couple other safety items related to cold weather starting.

IF your battery is severely depleted and you use a battery charger, a jump box, or even a car to supply power for starting-- exercise great caution-- batteries (lead /acid) that are even partially frozen have been known to explode when connecting power to them.

So, if your battery is frozen, remove it, take it in the house and warm it up before attempting a jump.

If you fail to do this, but get your scooter started, your AC charging system could supply enough power to cause an explosion WHILE you are riding. Most of the GY6 50cc stators only put out about 5 amps max, but if you have upgraded it and followed most parts sellers & youtube videos, then it can put out 10amps. both of these outputs into a frozen battery of that size could cause an explosion. the risk is too just too great.

I personally had an unknown at the time frozen battery explode when I attempted to jump start a vehicle with a Generac booster (up to 500 amp output). It exploded within 5 seconds of supplying power. I was far enough away that when it exploded, none of the acid got on me, but it covered the car and it had to be repainted.

If you are using starting fluid (ether) or any substitute fuel source to start a vehicle, use it sparingly and relocate the can away from where you originally sprayed, before cranking the scooter or car. Do not have your face above the carb or throttle body while cranking. A backfire can remove your eyebrows rather quickly or even cause the can to explode.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #9

I'm thinking a new, excellent condition trouble light with a 75 watt bulb or same condition heat lamp and same condition heavy duty extension cord would be low risk, especially 6" away and below the scoot.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:36 AM   #10

I live in an apartment, so I don't have the option of running an extension cord. I think I'll propose plan C:

Modify your battery wires with quick disconnects. If it's going to be cold, then disconnect the battery and take it in with you to home/work. (If it's warm enough for you, it's probably warm enough for the battery.)

Also, if you're going to use electric heat, use some sort of surge protection. In the event the heat lamp or trouble light is shorted out by rain/snow/physical damage, the surge protector will probably save your property.
(more for the future)
Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #11

Going to synthetic oil will help as cold dont thicken it like dino oil does.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions, ie surge protection, thin oil, carry the battery in. Bull actually posted on a recent similar thread that he now has a manual choke which he likes the best. They are cheap and great description on this site of how to do: http://scootdawg.proboards.com/threa...onversion-pics

I think I'll just design a throw down pop-up tent that folds to 12"x12", throw it out, roll my scoot in, a small heater inside and call it a day, LOL!! Or build a garage for my scoot and have it heated, LOL!!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #13

Excellent suggestions:

A new trouble light, but for best results, wouldn't you want an incandescent bulb? the reason i ask, is in most areas they are no longer available and you must use a screw in florescent. Or you could use a spot light

taking the battery inside will definitely increase its cranking ability, but if the weather is cold enough it still may not start. family had a Mercury Montclair w/ 460 c.i. engine that would crank fine, but no manner of accelerator pumping would get it to start without ether or liquid fuel direct into the carb.

With that said, I recently BBK'd a 2014 Tao Tao that was running rich before the upgrade (too big of idle jet from factory), it ran less rich afterwards but still started easily with 20F temps w/o changing the idle jet.

Synthetic oil is all I use and 10W30 as it reduces friction overall which gives more power, I have considered 5W30 and 0W30 for cold temps like most of the country is experiencing but have not tried it yet.

Must be someone else using the same Bull handle, maybe I should change mine. What do you think?

btw.. is there a way to give a "thumbs up" in this forum? I haven't seen one.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #14

I think my choice would be the little heater in the link that cheapeto included in post #2 of this thread. Only 25 watts, a lot closer to what you want to heat, and no chance of your tarp, or cover getting against it. I would certainly prefer this to starting fluid.

But in reality, I do what most of us northerners do, park the 2 wheelers in November....and get them back out in mid April.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #15

Thumbs Up

In your message you could use the smilies to the right of the message text box or the icons below will show along side the message title in the "Last Post" listing. For example; the thumb down here and the thumb up next to the message title.
I am assuming this is what you mean.

edit: Odd... it didn't post the thumb up icon on the message list but is above the message when looking at it... wonder what I did wrong? Maybe it only works when it is the original post?
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me