Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion
View Poll Results: Synthetic oil, or no?
Yes, Synthetic 80 70.18%
No 34 29.82%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

Mobil 0w40.

Karl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #2

I use exclusively 10w40 Mobil full synthetic motorcycle oil. I even use it for break-in. Some fools have said you can't break an engine in on synthetic, but my engine has 8000 miles on it that say otherwise.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

Just a heads-up! I don't know about scooters that much but when I ran customizing & repair shops in NH , I saw many engines that had WAY more wear than they should have had (for their age) because people ran what was basically an automotive oil in cycles. A motorcycle engine runs with way more heat than an automotive engine is used to. Saving a few $ on the amount of oil that is used isn't worth the cost of an eng. rebuild! Irish
P.S. My $ .02.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Because I've been riding (& buying parts) for so many years maybe I'm living in yesterday , when it comes to prices! I bought four qts of Amsoil (20/50) & a filter yesterday at a motorcycle repair shop & I could not believe the price! I wanted to try Amsoil but it must be liquid gold! Of course in NH I knew where to go for everything & here in Florida , it's like starting all over again. You don't know who to trust or who to do business with. Irish
Old 04-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #5

This is not a recommendation! There has been an add on TV in which Mobil One has an oil that you only change once a year! Irish

Old 05-25-2017, 12:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
This is not a recommendation! There has been an add on TV in which Mobil One has an oil that you only change once a year! Irish
Snake oil? Oil change once a year might not be so bad... if you don't ride very many miles during that time IMO. For a car with a filter that can actually keep tiny bits of bad stuff out of the oil flow is one thing; a little machine that maybe only has a SS screen to filter crud out (and barely effective at that!) is something completely different. From what I gather, cheap oil (as long as it meets or exceeds the bike's requirements and gets changed often enough) should be OK. What seems important is that the oil not be too contaminated or broken down to the point of not being able to provide proper lubrication.

BTW Old Man, I use 10-30 Mobil 1 and Valvoline 75-90 synthetic in the final drive gear box of my Honda Reflex 250 too.

Hey, where in Michigan are you?
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
Snake oil? Oil change once a year might not be so bad... if you don't ride very many miles during that time IMO. For a car with a filter that can actually keep tiny bits of bad stuff out of the oil flow is one thing; a little machine that maybe only has a SS screen to filter crud out (and barely effective at that!) is something completely different. From what I gather, cheap oil (as long as it meets or exceeds the bike's requirements and gets changed often enough) should be OK. What seems important is that the oil not be too contaminated or broken down to the point of not being able to provide proper lubrication.

BTW Old Man, I use 10-30 Mobil 1 and Valvoline 75-90 synthetic in the final drive gear box of my Honda Reflex 250 too.

Hey, where in Michigan are you?
grand Rapids