Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 09-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

GY6 Mods - need advice please on a couple

1) Installed a new 115mm Dr. Pulley variator because I broke the fan wheel taking off the old to switch out some lighter sliders. It came with 3 washers and said to place 0 to 3 between the back component and the fan wheel to adjust the range but gave no indication or guidance whatsoever which way installing them would take it. It is a nightmare to get my CVT cover off as the exhaust is bolted to it(KandiM2 buggy). Any idea which way adding the washers – increasing the space between variator and the fan plate would take it. I am looking for the most low end torque possible. My guess is adding them would increase the distance between the two plates making essentially a smaller gear decreasing the torque but not 100% sure. any insights or guesses appreciated.
2) The switch out with the variator and the lighter sliders did make a big difference in torque and am pleased with the bang for the buck. But I still want to optimize without doing the more involved work. the kart ramps up to max rpms rather quickly and has better acceleration but tops out at the RPM limit pretty quickly. So what are your thoughts on the performance CDIs. We don’t have a tach and neither my kids nor I are going to have the wherewithal zipping around on trails to closely watch RPMs even if we did. Are there any that raise the limit to something before it redlines or are they all just no limit. Have you heard of or seen damage to the engine when these performance CDIs are on – if there is a decent chance then it’s not worth it. I’ve seen just as many reviews saying they didn’t work as well as stock as I have saying they helped. Again any insights appreciated.
3) I already have a 120 main jet and a UNI performance filter which did help increase hp. The uni is short though and tucked up under some wires and a frame and not sure its getting enough air exposure. Would building some type of L shape either PVC or hose component raising the filter away from the engine and more in the air free up flow or have the opposite affect restricting the air in the longer bent tubing.
Thank you in advance!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-25-2015, 12:41 AM   #2

Question 1: I wouldnt think it would make a differnce hounestly but im not sure on that 1, maybe some 1 else would know.
Question 2: I bought 1 of the blue performance cdi's off ebay that stated it got rid of the rev limiter and my scoot actually woke up with that cdi and alot of people complain of hard starting and mine starts on the first try every time.
Question 3: Ive actually tested both of those setups and actually have the same mods as your scoot and my uni is cramed under the seat frame but still performed better then the bent piping out in the air.

Of course this is just my experience and may be different for you, what I would do is go ahead and try the different setups and see what works for you.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #3

Thanks RA. Anyone out there have any experience with blown gy6 motors due to swapping out CDIs to no rev limit performance???? My boys like to hit it pretty hard. Don't want to risk it if its a real possibility. thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

An unlimited CDI shouldn't kill an engine. But constant redlining will.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.