Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Fuel Issue with 49 cc GY6

Hello,
I have a fairly new 49 cc GY6 with 700 mi on it. I bought it new no issues so far except this one. When I stop to get fuel, I am careful of 2 things, 1, that I do NOT overfill the tank, and 2, I use 93 octane. The past three times I have gotten fuel at the same place Marathon, once I fill up, it is VERY HARD to get restarted. I got fuel today, and it almost would not start. It took six tries to fire up finally. Any reason why? Once it started, it runs great no issues at all. I took it on a 15 mi ride today and stopped after I got gas and it restarted 1st try. It seems something happens when I fill it? I also usually get fuel when I am just under half a tank. When I got home, I let it sit for 20 min and went out to start it and again, it started 1st try. Any suggestions on what to look for? I sure do not want to get stuck next time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

I'm guessing it's caused by "hot soak" the built up heat and the right amount or short time. The starter and engine are hot from the drive, getting gas doesn't take long enough for things to cool down and if it's the original battery they are known to not be all that great. If you have a voltage meter you can check the voltage drop at the starter when cold then when hot. This is actually pretty typical of most engines. When you shut them off there is no cooling air so the heat builds a bit, then starts to cool down. Solution... a higher amp battery and good cables. I've cars that also suffered the same problem.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #3

Fuel and starting issue may have found out why

I changed out the spark plug today and what a difference!! it runs much better. I changed my original spark plug that was in my scooter it was an NGK that came out and a new NGK that went back in. The one that came out kind of looked cocoa brown. I had a small issue the new spark plug fell in the housing. ( oh well ) But we got it out and got it all done.

Also, I noticed a HUGE difference on how the scooter starts and responds to the throttle now since I changed the plug. The scooter starts within a second when you use the electric start whereas before it would be a few seconds before it started.

Also when you give it throttle it really scoots along. I took it on a 20-mile ride tonight and it rode extremely well. And easily climbed to 42 MPH although, I didn't go that fast long I am careful not to go all out with the throttle and I don't go full out throttle for miles. I accelerate and move along at a steady pace I don't abuse the scooter. I also don't baby it either.

My scooter had 800 miles when I changed out the spark plug. Also, it that coco brown look at the end normal wear ? or a carb that needs adjusting??

also, I stopped for fuel ( took a chance) as I have had the issue where it was hard to restart but tonight it started right up instantly! Could the spark plug have been the issue?
It usually started well but instead of taking a few tries especially when its cold or sat overnight, It now starts 1st try and much quicker.

It runs now like it did when it was new

Login or Register to Remove Ads