Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 07-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

Oil change and gear oil question

I am going to attempt to change my oil and transmission fluid myself

I wanted to ask what is recommended for engine oil and gear oil for the transmission??

I did find 85-140 gear oil and wonder if I can use that? My scooter has 700 mi on it and I already had the gear oil and motor oil changed once at 317 miles. It is so cheap to change the oil and gear oil I feel it's worth doing every 800 mi or so. I plan on waiting until I get close to 1000 mi to change the gear and motor oil.

What do you recommend??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2019, 03:30 AM   #2

I use a high grade 10w40 for the engine and I got some synthetic 90 wt for the back gear box. If you run yours really hard you might want to look at specialized motorcycle oil. I'd use straight 30 weight for summer only but it's getting hard to find so I'm using 10w40 year around. That's what I do, when it comes to oil everyone has an opinion. With a GY6 engine you have sliding friction on the rocker arms/cam, a timing chain, bushings and roller bearings.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #3

I run cheap wal mart synthetic 10w40 and 75-90 in mine. I think its super tech brand or whatever. I just change my oil once a month and the trans ever 3 unless it's in the buggy and we dunk it in water.

I got a cousin that works at a place that bottles oils. They have account with a few of the better known brands and just about all the cheap brands. The same oil comes out of the same bulk trucks. The additives (detergents) they mix in the different brands are not in the same amounts but the base is the exact same. I used to be an oil snob until I found that out. Now I don't see the point in paying $8 a quart if it's coming out of the same spout at the factory as the $4 a quart stuff.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #4

I've ran Wal-Mart synthetic 10-40 oil in my Burgman 200, Buddy 125 and Honda Silverwing scooter. Good stuff at a fair price. Gear oil (aka-reduction box) is as close as I can find in weight/any brand. In my Yamaha Zumas I run Wal-Mart 10-30 synthetic in the reduction box. In my new scooter I have it serviced by the dealer. Have no idea what they use but when I check it to see if it needs topping up, its GREEN!? And note that this is a air cooled motor! I trust them and I rode home 100 miles in crazy hot and humid weather and its been fine. Just strange....