Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

48 cc QMB139 issue with rear wheel

I had my Gator 50 scooter serviced yesterday it is a Chinese scooter a QMB139. I noticed often when I accelerate from a stop it seems to "catch" or feels like all the sudden it "goes"
It runs well and the mechanic also noticed the issue and while it was on the stand ( not the kickstand) he noticed the rear wheel didn't start moving until he gave it a good bit of throttle. He checked the brakes to be sure they were not sticking and he seemed a bit stumped. He said it's not "really horrible" but the rear wheel should free spin at a lower rpm than it does. It runs well and I don't notice that "catch feeling" all the time but it is there. My scooter has 800 miles on it and has had the rear end fluid changed and that was also checked.
Any idea what this could be??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #2

Clutch related? You might have overheated/blued the clutch and/or bell, weakening the clutch springs. I did this on a Suzuki Burgman 200 riding 2 up in heavy traffic. Did the same symptoms. Could also be a sticking torque driver. Sometimes the factory is a bit thin on the grease. Thankfully rare. If someone did burnouts, its a damaged guide pin(s) for the torque driver halves. My old Zuma had a damaged torque driver from burnouts. Or, the clutch bell just may be glazed over. Honda Helix, Big Ruckus and Reflex are prone to this. Easy fix, just pull of the bell and sand/clean the inside of the bell and the top of the clutch shoes. Could be a damaged roller in the variator but that is also rare. Let us know what you find/learn.