Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Differences between two tao tao scooters.

I'll start by saying hi, I'm new here. And sadly tao tao is the only thing around me that I can afford. I need it to get back and forth to a job so I can make money. Gotta have money to make money to get something better lol.

Anyways now for the question.

A local little dealer near me sells the standard base model tao tao 50cc which is about 575. And also the tao tao future champion VIP 50cc for 785.

I can afford either one. But I want to know if it's worth it to spring for the VIP. And what the differences are aside from the VIP looking nicer. I'm going on monday 3/4/2013 so I need to cram any information you guys have. ALSO A very important piece of information I'd like aside from looking at a title is there a way to make sure it's the 2013 model and not the 2012 model? And I appreciate any help

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

There will be a manufacturers tag on the bike indicating the year. I don't know the main differences but I like the looks of the VIP better... Someone here will definitely know...

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the info scootwinn

Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

As a vip owner,I'm biased but the vip is awesome
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Sounds nice. If you see this again, what year and color is yours? When I get mine it is going to be orange either way. And I will walk out if they don't have orange still in stock. But I spoke with the guy over the phone and he said they have it in stock. I know that is a little picky. But 600-900 is a lot of money to me to not be happy with what I'm getting. And a can of spray paint wont cut it lol. I've tried it before with less than satisfactory results.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

As an owner of the ATM, I can only say that the Pre-2012 VIPs where a piece of crap.
I see most of them in the repair shops across town.
More than the ATMS.
The atm's are fast, easy to maintain, and solid. My experience.

The VIPS are larger, but all TAO exhausts rust like hell!

If the stock model is the ATM50, get that one!
It's faster, it's lighter, it's just overall a better performing scoot IMHO (especially with BP Premium fuel).
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Lol I didn't think this was going to be an easy decision. I have a vote for both now. So now I am kind of torn between the two. As of for the exhaust I wonder if the auto parts store may sell a high heat resistant spray to cover the muffler. During the winter time they use sand on the roads here, So I don't have to worry about salt. But we get a good amount of rain so that is something I will definitely have to look into. At first I was thinking why would the ATM be faster and more reliable than the VIP which costs more. But you make a point with it being lighter it has less to haul. But I still wonder if it's enough to make a difference. But I'm still keeping my eyes open for new posts on this thread to see if anyone wants to chime in their experience. And thanks to those that have given their opinion so far.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #8

The vip is bigger than the atm if your tall, choose the vip. Im 6'4 and my stepson has a xyqt50 looks just like an atm, its too small for me, its not comfortable.
hoca big valve head 16/50 gears
9.25 gram dr pulley sliders koso variator 1.5k torque spring
orange coil orange unlimted cdi
uni filter
gates premium belt
2012 taotao vip cy50a scrappys 110cc big bore kit 52mm "88cc"
100 main jet 38 idle iridium plug custom paint, leds and decals alarm system
naraku hd crankshaft
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #9

Well I am 5'7 and 5'8 with my boots on. Lol gotta include every inch I can. I weigh about 198. Is the xyqt50 the same as the ATM? What likes/dislikes do you have about both the xyqt50 and VIP
Old 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #10

Dont buy the atm they are junk imo prodigit is the only person i ever hear talk good about them, i have bought two of them both blue, straight junk to any other scooter i have owned which is 9 scooters counting the two atm, and like mention earlier they are bigger and better suited for a adult to ride plus the come with pegs for a second rider

2010 Cpi Oliver 70cc, naruku trans kit, downhill handle bars, tecnigas rsll pipe, s6 4g rollers, Vento R4 with 90cc 1e52qmf technigas next r 100cc pipe Naruku, 21mm race carb, s6 4.5 g rollers
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #11

There are plenty of ATM lovers on the forum. Also plenty of ATM's and VIPs on South Beach. Yet the only ones I see in the garages are the VIPs. Seemingly they just ramble apart.
As far as size, the ATM is very small, however, I'm, 6'3" and if I sit on the passenger's seat I still have about 1 ft of leg/knee space in front of me.
I'm 6'3" and sit most comfortable on the place between driver's and the passenger's seat.
It's pretty comfy for me!

The ATM is a one person rider. I can ride with my wife, but my legs would have to be open in order to be able to sit on the drivers seat.
You really don't want to haul 2 people on a 50cc anyway. Way too slow! But should you want to, the ATM does not have passenger pegs, but it has incavings in the body, where the passenger can put his/her feet; at the edge of the floorboard.

As far as speed goes, the ATM beats the competition right out of the water!
With good fuel, and pumped tires, even at 200+LBS you can reach 40-45MPH (I'm 170LBS on a good day 160BS, and can go 48-53MPH tops).
Most VIPs aren't that fast.

Then again, perhaps I'm lucky and got the only good ATM out there.
However I spoke to another user who has an ATM, and he too had no issues with it!
From the factory, all bolts sealed with a sealing agent like locktite.
All I had to do was to mount the hose clips on the correct spots (under the seat there are few hoses. The clips are on the hoses, but not on the right spot, so I moved them; a 5 - 10 minute job).
Also, if you're into perfection, the reflectors on mine where installed upside down (the imprinted text was upside down), though in normal circumstances you won't even notice that, since the reflectors are round.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #12

Sure wish I could join in. We sell very few 50's... has something to do with all the hills here in Western PA. We have tried the Tao-Tao atv's and were less than impressed. There's a new dealer here in town just down the road. He's thrown his lot in with Tao Tao... so we're gonna take a wait and see attitude. However, on a good note, we've picked up some of his customers for service from the quads he sold at Christmas. Hopefully he's even worse at fixing scooters than he is at fixing atv's.

"Pittsburgh's Premier Scooter Dealer"
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #13

I must say ride them yourself and then decide. No ones opinion matters but yours because ultimately you are the one who will have to look at the thing daily for as long as the bike lasts. The drive train on the two bikes is identical both are a dice roll for quality. Get the one that is comfortable and has the right amount of storage etc.

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #14

[QUOTE=prodigit;517674]There are plenty of ATM lovers on the forum. Also plenty of ATM's and VIPs on South Beach. Yet the only ones I see in the garages are the VIPs. Seemingly they just ramble apart.
As far as size, the ATM is very small, however, I'm, 6'3" and if I sit on the passenger's seat I still have about 1 ft of leg/knee space in front of me.
I'm 6'3" and sit most comfortable on the place between driver's and the passenger's seat.
It's pretty comfy for me!

The ATM is a one person rider. I can ride with my wife, but my legs would have to be open in order to be able to sit on the drivers seat.
You really don't want to haul 2 people on a 50cc anyway. Way too slow! But should you want to, the ATM does not have passenger pegs, but it has incavings in the body, where the passenger can put his/her feet; at the edge of the floorboard.

As far as speed goes, the ATM beats the competition right out of the water!
With good fuel, and pumped tires, even at 200+LBS you can reach 40-45MPH (I'm 170LBS on a good day 160BS, and can go 48-53MPH tops).
Most VIPs aren't that fast.

Then again, perhaps I'm lucky and got the only good ATM out there.
However I spoke to another user who has an ATM, and he too had no issues with it!
From the factory, all bolts sealed with a sealing agent like locktite.
All I had to do was to mount the hose clips on the correct spots (under the seat there are few hoses. The clips are on the hoses, but not on the right spot, so I moved them; a 5 - 10 minute job).
Also, if you're into perfection, the reflectors on mine where installed upside down (the imprinted text was upside down), though in normal circumstances you won't even notice that, since the reflectors are round.[/QUOTE
I could be wrong but i thought you had a secret 63 didnt you post a picture with 6b on the case, if not you have the fastest stock 50cc ever shoot that beats hanks 3000+ sr50 top speed and hangs with my 70cc 2t cpi with countless dollars invested in aftermarket parts, but i have had both body styles the handsome boy wasnt taotao

2010 Cpi Oliver 70cc, naruku trans kit, downhill handle bars, tecnigas rsll pipe, s6 4g rollers, Vento R4 with 90cc 1e52qmf technigas next r 100cc pipe Naruku, 21mm race carb, s6 4.5 g rollers
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #15

Ok, I don't know where to really start at responding lol. Leave for a little bit come back and a lot of new stuff. So it looks like what I'm hearing is they are the same except for the frame/size and pegs with some extra storage on the VIP? 48mph? that does seem a little high. My 2005 yamaha zuma that I used to have would top out around 40-45 going down a little slope lol. I don't think they are going to let me test drive them though at least I wasn't allowed to test drive the zuma before purchasing it. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread as I'm still kind of divided. Of course my main concern between the two is reliability on what I can afford. But as scootwinn said they are basically the same when it comes to the motor.

Tags
chinese, tao, vip