Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2017, 01:59 AM   #1

Acceleration decreased after cleaning and lubing clutch

Hey all, so I ordered 1,000 rpm contra and clutch Springs to put on my 150cc sunl. When I took off the clutch and pulley, I noticed that it was pretty dirty in there, especially on the "tube" where one pulley half slides towards and away from the other half. It looked like dirty grease mixed with a little rust (pretty much orange grease). So I completely stripped down the pulley and clutch and cleaned out everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. I re-greased all the sliding parts, switch out the springs, and put everything back together. When I took her out for a ride, I immediately noticed lack of acceleration, and it took a while to get up to speed. When I accelerated on the center stand, the rear tire started spinning around 2,000 rpms. Before, it used to spin around 3,000 rpms. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but i read up that these performance clutch springs are supposed to engage that many more rpms on top of stock. So since the stock Springs engage at 3,000, I assumed with these springs it would bump it up to 4,000 rpm engagement. Instead they engage 1,000 rpms lower. Wtf??? So I tore it all apart and put in the stock contra and clutch springs. Now acceleration is a tad better, but it still takes awhile to take off. It's nowhere near where it used to be. I'm wondering if somehow, since I cleaned everything out, it's affecting acceleration? Maybe the pulley/clutch is working too smoothly? Before, it was a pain to open the pulley by hand, but it was possible. Now it's tons easier to do it, with the stock and 1,000 rpm contra spring. Fwiw, before I installed the performance springs, I noticed the contra and clutch springs seemed to be weaker than stock. Both contra springs have the same number of coils, but I think the perf spring is easier to compress. As for the clutch springs, they have one coil more than stock (stock has 5, blue 1,000 rpms has 6). I looked into the 2,000 rpm springs, and it seems the clutch springs have the same number of coils as my stock springs. Anyone have any input?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
1000rpm, acceleration, clutch, pulley, springs