Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 12-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

Just great!

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it. I was getting ready to take the scooter out. I usually check the oil before I roll it outside, but today I didn't think of it til I was outside. So I reached down to remove the dipstick. It was awkward and I could see it. So I unscrewed it and when I went to pull it out, I fumbled and the thing went flying into the yard. Well, I broke the tip with the graduations off, that little piece about 3/8" long. I don't know where it went. Either, it went flying somewhere never to be seen again, or it fell down in the engine.

So I push it back in and took the truck. When I got home I drained the oil and put an endoscope in there looking for it. I couldn't find it. I refilled the oil and started it up for about 30 seconds. Drained the oil again, still no where to be found. According to the diagram of the engine, the oil pump is the first thing after the screen. So am I right in thinking that nothing gets to the pump without going to the screen first? The filler spout goes somewhere, but I can't see where it goes to. I thought it would just drop to the screen, but it doesn't. So now I'm afraid I'm going to trash my oil pump. Thoughts?

mpsracing.net/technical/helix-manual/02-00.html

This diagram doesn't show the filler spout. If it's that little cut off just about the screen, it looks like it goes in AFTER the screen, that doesn't make sense and it would be disastrous.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #2

I do not know your year, but on a Honda parts filch,2000 Helix, if you look at the right crankcase parts diagram, you see the oil filler tube is right beside the screen, so if the broken off tip dropped into it, will be stopped by the screen.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #4

I have had 2 Honda Helix's and one of those QLINK's (made by CF MOTO) and if that happened to me I wouldn't worry about it. I do know a dipstick from a Helix would work as a replacement, as the QLINK we had the dipstick shattered (plastic got brittle quick) and I just pulled a dipstick out of a extra Helix motor and used that instead. I have also seen CNC long handle dip sticks as I had one on my Helix. Can't recall who I purchased it from, been a long time.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
I have had 2 Honda Helix's and one of those QLINK's (made by CF MOTO) and if that happened to me I wouldn't worry about it. I do know a dipstick from a Helix would work as a replacement, as the QLINK we had the dipstick shattered (plastic got brittle quick) and I just pulled a dipstick out of a extra Helix motor and used that instead. I have also seen CNC long handle dip sticks as I had one on my Helix. Can't recall who I purchased it from, been a long time.
If I need a part, I just buy a Helix part. I ordered a new Helix dipstick off eBay for $9,05 with free shipping. Finding CFMOTO parts can be a problem. It's a clone of the Helix, same thing. As for that little piece, I'm going to sit down and comb every half inch of the area beside where it was parked. I would really like to know where it is.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #6

The only thing Helix that does not work correctly on a CFMoto/QLINK is the fuel cap. The original QLINK fuel cap gave me problems from the start. Leaked fuel and you could always smell gas while riding. So, I grab the new in bag Helix gas cap for the 2001 Helix I was fixing for a winter project. Yes! No more gas vapor smell. Then, I got vapor lock. Helix gas caps come in different pressures, like a radiator cap, that varies from year to year. The QLINK has a weird tank system to meet more modern emission standards. Being "smart" I poked a tiny hole in the Helix cap, then the QLINK didnt want to idle smooth. Switches/controls have different wiring inside of them also. Its because of the hazard lights on the QLINK that the Helix didn't (ever) have. There are a few more small things that escape memory, but we no longer have the QLINK and I replaced the Helix with a Burgman 200.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #7

If your luck is anything like mine......your lawn mower tire, will be what finds the lost dipstick.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the heads up! I expect there are some differences here and there. I haven't had to replace much, so I haven't encountered any problems yet.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #9

CFMoto/QLINK quality can be great for one vehicle, than total trash on the very next one. If you get a good one then it wont give you much, if any, problems. We got a bad quality one. Only put 2000 miles on it in 2 years, and we average 10,000 a year normally. Wife wanted to learn how to ride, and a real Helix was hard to find. Oh well, live and learn. Someone tried to sell me a yellow Helix, forgot the year but it was the last you-choose-the-color year. $500. Ran, but not very well. I passed. Thinking of picking up a sport bike for a project. Just not sure what kind yet. Enjoy your 250 Blu. If you got a good one it will be a fun and reliable scooter for many years to come.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

It had 2100 miles on it April last year when I bought it for $1300. It hadn't been maintained well. But I have the bugs worked out of it, almost 9,000 miles now, running/riding great! Does everything I need it too. Had a Harley, couldn't handle it anymore due to back and other issues. Still got the wind in my hair! (what hair?)