Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

50cc Scooter Questions

Hey there,

I'm about to be getting a new scooter soon and was looking for recommendations and if also some thoughts on what I've been looking at.

Currently, I'm interested in one of the Taotao 50 Racer scooters, one for looks and two because I don't see many people doing mods with it though I know you can big bore it and get a better carb, jet it properly etc.. But I was thinking of eventually doing a 150gy6 swap like I'd done in the past for my old Honda Ruckus, sadly not in the family anymore.

In the end I'm hoping to be able to put two springs on the back end, with a 150cc gy6 and a larger rear tire to match the front, bigger carb, air filter, jet it right and tune it to Denver altitude to make it run smooth.. Thoughts?

Also really interested in hearing other ideas, I don't plan on doing all this at once and if I did get a racer 50 I might just big bore it if that's the only way I can go.. Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

It may be cheaper to go ahead and buy a 150cc scoot than swap one into a 50cc scoot. If you enjoy engine swaps, stick with your original plan.
If you decide that you do not want to do an engine swap. You may want to get a 2 stroke 50cc scoot. Like a used Yamaha Zuma or Genuine Roughouse. The two strokes are faster an it is easier to add a big block kit to a 2 stroke. Just my two cents.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

I've got a 50cc did the big bore thing with it and I'm pleased with the results. I'd intended to do a 150cc engine swap but the suspension in the 50cc is what I'd call dangerous above 35 mph. The streets here are pretty bad. I've got a 150 also and it's bigger and safer but I like buzzing around on the 50 (now 81.3 cc's). It's what you want and need that's important. The weight of the rider is probably one of the biggest considerations, 200 lbs or more I'd say go with the 150cc's.

Login or Register to Remove Ads