Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #1

Gy6 starting issues need help

Hey,

Okay I have a 2005 alien longbo lb150T-19 and bought it on an impulse buy and been trying to get it started ever since,

What I've done so far
Pulled the carbs and cleaned them
Drained old gas cleaned tank and refilled
Checked compression "good"
Replaced filer that was crushed for a cone filter I had laying around off a gokart
Adjust air/fuel to 2 1/2 turns.
Checked spark which I couldnt get to spark.

So my question is there a way to check the coil pack and or is there something else I need to check the spark plug in it looked brand new a NGK c7hsa and tryed to get spark using my motorcycles plugs and couldn't get spark.

Ps on 1 attempt to start it after cleaning the carbs it did start and idled up and down real rough and died out and hasn't started since.

Any thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #2

If at any time it turned over and it actually tried to start up, forget looking for ignition problems - you don't have any.

This leaves fuel or air/vacuum issues.

Try spraying starter fluid inside the air intake box and turning it over. If it roars to life for a few seconds (as I expect it will), then you need to re-check the carburetor and vacuum lines.

If there is some sort of vacuum leak, the engine may never develop enough vacuum to draw the gas up the jets. If there's no fuel in the float bowl (or the jets or other carb passages are plugged), you likewise won't be able to start.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

Could be valve clearance but if you've got good compression I doubt it but worth a look.

If it tried to fire up once I'm with shadow fire you must have spark, of course it could have been the last gasp of a failing CDI or coil.
puropse
if you checked spark and you have none then my first suspect would be the CDI you can pick up a replacement for about $10 on amazon. next suspect would be the coil. not suggesting you start throw parts at it but Those are cheap parts and even if the ones you have are good those are good spares to have laying around for the purpose of elimination.

Here is a decent article on trouble shooting the no spark condition.
http://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cente...uide-no-spark/

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #4

Just because it started doesn't mean your ignition system is fine. I'd still check the coil, and CDI. From experience, I suspect the coil. Change them both, you can pick them both up for under 20 bucks on Amazon.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

Well just got it running luckily there was a scooter/ moto shop close to me that had a coil there I replaced it and it fired right up, now for a oil change andntest it out so yea you guys were right and thanks for the help guys.