Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

Sold my MC, going to look at a scoot in a bit!

Went from no bites to selling my Honda GL500I Silverwing today. Ended up taking less than I really wanted to , but wanted it gone as it just wasnt enjoyable for me to ride anymore. Between the heat bath from the engine and the top heavyness, I wasn't happy or safe. Scooters fit me better, espically with my autism issues I deal with daily. We are going to look at a 1985 Honda Elite 250 in about an hour. She is gold in color, has matching top case, windscreen(important for me!), 17K miles(no worries on a Honda), new tires and battery. Was rode all last season by adult with years of MC riding experience. Even has the factory optional Kenwood stereo(if it works/didn't ask). My last scooter was an '86 Helix, so I am very familiar with engine/cvt set up on these. My Helix was reliable as anything I have ever owned, even in sub zero temps when I without a cage to drive. So, if all goes well, I should be back on a scooter by this evening. Not sure if we are riding down 2 up on my wife's Magna, or taking her little Ranger pickup. Pics later if I can find a way around my photobucket issues. Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #2

Good luck! The Elite 250 that I rescued for parts was a red one. Gold is very sharp! My first scooter was a Honda Elite 80. Slow but reliable. I put DEVO on the sides with big white vinyl letters.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #3

I bought the old girl. Ran pretty good for not much use for the last several years, he was just putting around the lake they lived on. Was just over 80 miles to home. We stopped for dinner about 3/4 of the way home, on the final leg, she wouldn't get over 60mph at WOT, where before I was getting near 70 if I wanted to. I suspect the belt probably stretched and glazed a bit on the first part of the trip home. Who knows when it was last changed. I will change it shortly and check everything else down there while I am at it. BTDT on my Helix. Get up and go is excellent at the lower speeds. Just lost some of my top speed on the final leg of the trip home. Stereo was dead, but traced back to 2 blown fuses. Works great, but missing the clear rubber boot that protects it from rain getting into the controler that mounts on the glove box door. Anybody got one of those laying around?? I have a zip lock baggie to cover it for now as I plan to commute to work and it will set outside in the weather all day. A cover is planned, but that is a month or so away. Was a great ride home, his choice in tires wouldn't be my first, more of an aggressive tread like you might see on a Honda Ruckus and not this model. I will run them till they are shot then go with some Michelins. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170716_210541.jpg (20.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170716_210611.jpg (20.1 KB, 8 views)

Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #4

Very nice find man.
I was not a Honda guy, until I owned and ran one for few years.
I run a combo of rollers and sliders myself.
Have a blast man!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #5

Had time finally after work to go over the scooter. Oil does look new(he said it was just changed) and it was at the proper level. But both tires only had like 15lbs of air, no wonder speed sucked on the final leg of the trip. I aired both tires up, both are nearly brand new Bridgestone ML50 Molas tires. Only upgrade for now is to put my small round amber spot lamps on each side down low as its quite dark in the morning when I go in to work. I am sure the charging system wont like the 55wt Halogen bulbs, good for about 8 amps of draw. But I plan to convert both lamps to LED's once I find some that focus correctly in the lights. The last pair of LED's I tried were to tall and didn't produce a focused beam. The fog/spots will be on thier own switch, so only on when I need them. I do need the rubber cover for the stereo tuner. My baggie works, but looks tacky and cheap. Mike the Aspie

Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

Thumbs Up

Having the baggie makes it a custom! Irish
P.S. I have been working on Marine , Cycles , Aircraft , etc. for years & I have to say that Honda (altho many are ugly) makes a great machine be it cycle , auto , generator , etc. I never liked them but you have to face facts!
Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #7

The styling grows of you after awhile and the reliablity is second to none. My generator is a Honda powered John Deere model. Always starts as long as I keep the gas stabilized. But I also start it and run it under load once a month for about 20 min to let it get up to temp. Mike
Old 08-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

Speaking of Autism. My youngest Grandson is now 20. He is non-verbal Autistic. My youngest daughters 2cd husband , just bought a used bike. Last weekend , he took my grandson for about a 20mi ride. He sent a video from NH. You never saw a bigger smile on a kidsface! Irish
P.S. He's the one that said after selling his last bike that he'd never ride again!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

It just proves the old saying of "Different strokes for different folks". I had a new 250 & I turned it in on a used 2006 Sportster 1200 w/ a trike kit. I had special foot boards installed to help mounting. (I have a game leg) I also had a special heel-toe shifter lever made. A 250 just didn't have the power that I'm used to. Irish
Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #10

I rode an Elite 250 last month. Nice bike. Awesome wind protection, though you wouldn't think so, to look at it. The engine is really laid back. Pretty torquey and low RPM, compared to modern Hondas.

I just bought a Silver Wing....scooter. But I might've been interested in the motorcycle too. I like that flying V engine + shaft drive. Seems like it'd be low maintenance and easy to work on.