Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > The Dawg Pound

Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

Thumbs down Black?

Has anyone ever painted a flat black over their chrome? In N.H. I used to High Heat Black the cyls & rocker covers after I had done the valves & valve guides. That way , if I was doing more than one eng ,I knew what was done. The air here is VERY corosive (sp?) & I'm getting tired of trying to keep ahead of it. I would buy new black replacement parts but I can't afford it. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Irish

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #2

Don't think so Irish. You will need to sand off the chrome and repaint. I have had some of the same problems since moving my scooters to the shore.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Exclamation

I wish that there was an outfit , where you could TRADE your chrome & polished aluminum parts for HD black ones but so far NO luck. A friend bought their bike with stock black instead of the shiney stuff & they have NO problems & their bike always looks good (except for the horrible color of the paint) Irish

Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #4

They make "blackout kits" for my scooter. It replaces my chrome parts with flat black ones, for a murdered out appearance. Sanding and repainting is cheaper.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

My birthday (27th) is Monday. Maybe I'll wake up & there will be replacement parts (in black) on the living room floor! It's enough of a surprise that I made 73 so I probably shouldn't expect anything else! Irish

Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

There was nothing on the floor(not even paint). I guess (as usual) everything will be up to me! Irish
Old 02-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #7

Hey Irish, congrats on your 73'rd... why not try some full strength Simple Green cleaner to remove wax/grease from a part. Scuff with 400, wipe with turpentine, and spray a light coat of black, see how it holds up on the road. I see bikes running around with painted wheels, etc., that were cleaned and then sprayed... minimal prep.

A couple drops of paint, some place you don't want it, and it's near impossible to get off... think overspray on chrome. A single wet coat of rattle-can black, road-dog not show-bike.