Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Banned

WTF No more Aprilia Scooters in the U.S.

http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/apri...lineup-srv850/

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

Oh No

Hi
Im at a loss for words

What can they be thinking with that decission

Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Bummer. I hope they will still sell their hot motorcycles here.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

the weak economy hits everybody.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi
Im at a loss for words

What can they be thinking with that decission

Take care and ride safely my friend
Yours Hank
Unfortunately Aprilia is already a low volume dealer in the US so it's just that much harder for them to compete. Especially with the flood of cheap Chinese scooters depressing scooter prices and simultaneously turning people off of scooters because of the perceived lack of quality.

Honda also is holding the line introducing very good models like the PCX 150 and the simplified Metropolitan with fuel injection. Yamaha is doing really well with their Zuma 125.

Couple this with even tougher emissions effectively banning 2t's making Aprilia's 2t power advantage moot and you can see why they're having such a tough time.

The thing keeping Aprilia scooters afloat overseas in Europe and Asia is that getting bigger bikes is significantly more difficult. Licensing, registration and insurance is a major expense and 50cc's avoid a lot of that over there so hopped up 50cc scooters are all over the place. And Aprilia's pretty much the Ferrari of small scooters.

Here once you get your license you can essentially buy a used 1000cc sport bike just as easily as a new 50cc scooter. They'll cost about the same. So it's also just as easy to get a 150cc scooter.

So there's multiple reasons why Aprilia just can't sell their fantastic small scooters in the US. Same reason why 250cc motorcycle selection is so bad in the US.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

Sadly Aprilia is just suffering the same fate that many other motorcycle manufacturers did when the Japanese moved into Town. They all but wiped out the British bike industry. Not only are China scoots in a crate being sold out there but also Puma, Bintelli, Wolf and Lance being sold through B&M establishments for hundreds, even thousands less.

Since the amount of scooter owners are so small (motorcycles sell at a rate of 10 to one scooter) there's only so much room. There are two bright spots in this. The first is that Chinese scooter dealers like the ones I mentioned are sending feedback to the Chinese. Justin at Bintelli stated that he spends time talking to them for improvements that actually come through. This will ensure that eventually the scooters will attain solid reliability.

The second is that even though they will cost a little more than now, a person who wants to buy a 150cc scooter won't have to spend $3500 to $4800 to own one. That might assist in the growth of scooters among non-riders (Gen X, Y and Millennials) who would buy one for fuel savings. Things change, companies change and the Chinese are here to stay.

There will always be high priced brands, BMW and Harley didn't disappear in the face of the Japanese onslaught, they just might be fewer in number. Vespa isn't going anywhere for sure.

Last edited by kz1000st; 03-18-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

We were shocked to read the announcement. While their scooters aren't nearly as common to see these days, the quality on them is next to none. We always enjoyed having them come into our shop for service.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

Hi
I was patienctly waiting for this one to hit our shores

Sadly now i dont think i will get the chance to own one unless i import one
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #9

It just leaves one less choice for great scooters The motard sr50 was tied for first in motorcycle USA comparison test of $2000 scooters back in November . I guess you will have to buy a piaggio typhoon 50 to get that powerful Chinese engine.