Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 04-08-2023, 06:28 PM   #1

SYM Fiddle III Bogging, Surging, Bogging Surging, Rinse, Repeat

Just bought a 2017 Sym Fiddle III 200i with just 65 miles on the clock. Previous owner was up front about this issue - the engine starts fine, idles well - but applying power is a mixed bag. Usually from a cold start she'll accelerate okay, but quickly begins to bog down to the point where the engine feels like she might die. Then I'll get a sudden surge of power, but then it bogs down again. This continues until I shut it down - no improvement if I let it warm up a bit. I do see the "engine" light flashing at start up - 7 flashes - but can't find anything in my owners manual that talks about the codes, nor do I see how I can connect an OBD2 reader to the scoot. I'm open to suggestions!

Pgcorky

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-08-2023, 10:12 PM   #2

So I have a friend who had a Cabo 200i, the EFI model. He had a paper service manual for it and I recall it had a print-out of the codes in the back for trouble shooting. He sold the Cabo to another friend and threw in the service manual. I'll text the new owner and ask if he still has that service manual. I'm pretty sure he does, here's why. The Cabo 200i he bought was mint and low miles. The new owner went to put under glow lights on it and shorted it out so bad the ECU melted and the loom caught on fire! So he bought a brand new Lance Cabo 200i and kept the old one for parts. I wonder if he put under glow lights on the new Cabo?

Anyways, I know they sell a physical service manual and the SYM/Lance owners group forum also had PDF service manuals on their site. I know because I scanned and uploaded my CityCom 300i service manual. I'll reach out to the Cabo guy and see if he has the paper service manual still. I believe all 200i motors are the same and use the same codes. Note the "i" means fuel injection.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:45 AM   #3

I would kill for a proper service manual. Just give me the name of who needs killing! The owners manual is typical - I know how to check the oil, thank you. And I'll take the under glow lights mod under advisement! Anyway, much appreciate your help on the manual. Love to know what my code means - and where to connect a code reader! And from what I've seen, all those SYM and Lance 200i scoots have essentially the same 169cc engine as you note....

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2023, 11:49 PM   #4

OMG, I can't get the kid who has the service manual to understand SERVICE manual. I'm 99% sure he has one. He keeps sending me links for owners manuals. All the manuals he got with the used Cabo he can't find at the moment.

Now I understand that all SYM/Lance codes are the same across all models. As long as it has EFI all the codes are the same, from a 50cc to a 300cc. The guy I dumped my CityCom 300i on tossed the service manual in the trash. It got wet or something. So that contact was a longshot/washout.

I'll keep bugging Cabo 200i guy and see if I can motivate him to look for the service manual that I'm darn sure he has. I know this because I almost bought the Cabo 200i off the original seller. It was just a little too tatty for my liking. Pitted front wheel, faded panels, seat was tacky looking. The poor thing lived outside but was lovingly kept up mechanically. Why have a garage but lock the scooter outside I'll never know.