Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

Few questions about slow Piaggio sfera / zip 1

Hello,
I`m talking about sfera, but it`s the same scooter as zip 1 (only plastics are different).

It has dellorto phbg 19mm carb and free flow filter, it`s jetted to #75, spark plug is coloured nice brown.
I installed new belt and improved top speed from 47kmh to 56kmh (measured via gps).

I can tell that stock roller weights (5,2g) are too heavy, it has poor acceleration and it tops out at 54kmh.
4,5g ones are alot better but I can get same top speed and better acceleration with 3,5g ones.
Cylinder and piston were changed before about 500km.
The biggest problem is that it will not top out over 45kmh in slight wind :S

Can anyone tell me how sfera / zip 1 should go compared to yamaha aerox or chinese 4t 50cc scooter or old typhoon.
I never owned scooter that old so I don`t even know what I can expect from it.

Thank you for help

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #2

All modding requires the same basic setting up. If I was to guess I would say the torque spring is to soft, letting the belt sink into the pulleys instead of ridding to the top. Sharpie stripe the front variator face to check belt height travel. Are these motors fee flow (pod style) air filter friendly? If you put a pod style on a 2 stroke Zuma motor it flattens the power out because the motor likes the stock airbox because it creates negative pressure. Pod style requires to much tuning so I avoid them because Im lazy. Few more things. Is the exhaust de-restricted (cone removed?). What is the stock gear ratio? My Adly will only hit 47mph MAX as thats what its geared at. Are you still on 50cc? My Adly is a 70cc now. If your still at 50cc than 44mph MAX is what I would expect, not sure what that translates into kph. Its raining and I dont want to run out to the garage and look. List everything done to the scooter and we will try and figure it out. Others tune 2 strokes here.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
All modding requires the same basic setting up. If I was to guess I would say the torque spring is to soft, letting the belt sink into the pulleys instead of ridding to the top. Sharpie stripe the front variator face to check belt height travel. Are these motors fee flow (pod style) air filter friendly? If you put a pod style on a 2 stroke Zuma motor it flattens the power out because the motor likes the stock airbox because it creates negative pressure. Pod style requires to much tuning so I avoid them because Im lazy. Few more things. Is the exhaust de-restricted (cone removed?). What is the stock gear ratio? My Adly will only hit 47mph MAX as thats what its geared at. Are you still on 50cc? My Adly is a 70cc now. If your still at 50cc than 44mph MAX is what I would expect, not sure what that translates into kph. Its raining and I dont want to run out to the garage and look. List everything done to the scooter and we will try and figure it out. Others tune 2 strokes here.
Hello, thank you for your help. Exhaust is from chinesse minarelli scooter (i cutted the pipe and welded it with piaggios one), I noticed better performance compared to original exhaust).
I think that these motors are free flow friendly -it doesent bogg.
I will take a look at compression spring.
Thankyou

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by padly1995 View Post
Hello, thank you for your help. Exhaust is from chinesse minarelli scooter (i cutted the pipe and welded it with piaggios one), I noticed better performance compared to original exhaust).
I think that these motors are free flow friendly -it doesent bogg.
I will take a look at compression spring.
Thankyou
I installed 1cm thick hard rubber ring under contra spring and airbox from lawnmower (I don't have stock one) and it feels more powerful.
However I didn't manage to test top speed due to people that think that backroad is a park. Can't go to main road because scooter doesnt have rego... Yet.