Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 06-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Sneaky restrictor!

I have a Chinese 50cc GY6 scooter. It's sold in the UK as a Direct Bikes DB50QT-11, and is the same bike as a Pulse or Lexmoto Scout. It's probably sold in the USA, but I don't know as what brand! Anyway, it looks like this:

I was doing a lube job on it yesterday, and changed the engine oil and gear oil, and went to set up the idle.
I took a look under the top cover of the carb (the metal bit held on with 2 setscrews) and found mounted to the underside of the cover a threaded pin with a sleeve nut and lock nut to prevent full opening of the throttle! It stopped the diaphragm rising all the way, thus preventing the needle rising all the way in the jet! It was soon removed (broke it off with pliers!) and when it's back together, the bike is transformed! Acceleration is improved, and hillclimbing is like a different bike!
It possibly doesn't strictly comply with European Moped regulations now, but I don't really care. (European Moped Regulations are set out by the European Union. A moped has to be of 50cc or less engine size, 3bhp engine power max, with a maximum design speed of 30 mph) Moped manufacturers simply fit restrictors of various types to their 50cc bikes so they comply with the law. Rev-limited CDI units, variator spacers, un-tuned 2-stroke exhausts, and carb restrictors like on mine are just some of the restrictions. If you have a Chinese 50 designed for the European market, check it for restrictors. There may be a load more performance awaiting release!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

Very nice find! Did you happen to get a picture of it before you broke it off?

(I know it doesn't have anything like this inside my carb but I'd like to see this.)
Old 06-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyman View Post
Very nice find! Did you happen to get a picture of it before you broke it off?

(I know it doesn't have anything like this inside my carb but I'd like to see this.)
Sorry, no, I didn't. I just thought "A-Ha! You gotta go!" and SNAP!

Login or Register to Remove Ads