Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Scrapping/Rasping sound coming from the Variomatic case

THIS IS A DUPLICATE OF THE ORIGINAL THREAD BECAUSE THE PROBLEM IS NOT REALLY ENGINE SIZE RELATED. Thanks.

Hello Dawgs.

I'm having a problem with my Aprilia Atlantic 125 (2003).

It's making a scrapping noise in the variomatic case. First let me begin explaining how this happened.

I installed a new variator from Malossi (MultiVar 2000). I did this as a DIY project, got all the tools I needed and got to work. The scoot was running fine for about 30 minutes and then it started making that noise. Here's a video of the noise:

The noise is louder than what the recording leads one to believe.

At first I couldn't get the clutch bell out. So I hammered it a bit on the sides to get it loose. So because the clutch bell is pretty much the only thing that moves together with the wheel when the engine is off (example: turning the wheel by hand), I thought I had damaged it by hammering it, so I ordered a replacement clutch bell. Turns out that wasn't it, the noise continued.

While trying to unscrew the clutch nut to replace the spring I dented these little metal teeth: (example image)

So as the DIY fanatic I am, instead of taking the scoot to a mechanic, I thought maybe those metal teeth are scrapping against the clutch bell. Instead of ordering just the metal teeth part, I went ahead and ordered (and replaced) the whole secondary pulley (whole clutch assembly as can be seen in the picture bellow):

To my surprise, the noise still continues (I was pretty sure this was the jackpot).

Next thing I'm considering replacing is the actual variomatic case cover, because there's this rolling point in the cover where the secondary pulley axis connects to (the secondary pulley nut is located on the outer side of the cover). I might have damaged the cover somehow (I wasn't too harsh with it).

But before I sink any more money on this, I would like to know some opinions on what this might be.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, if the variomatic cover is taken out, there is no noise whatsoever when I turn the wheel. The noise only happens when I put the cover in place. Not sure if the noise is really that rolling point on the cover I mentioned above, or if the cover is forcing something it shouldn't be.

Might also be worth mentioning, there's a spacer between the secondary pulley and the cover, which I forgot to place back after I changed the variator, which is when the noise started. I have obviously placed it back in place.

Login or Register to Remove Ads